Oct 17, 2013, 12:51 PM EDT
The numbers are beyond ugly for Devan Dubnyk. A goals-against average of 5.43. A save percentage of .829.
Even in the ’80s, those stats would be cause for concern. In the present, they’re cause for concern and at least one major trade rumor.
Yet despite the above, Dubnyk will be back in goal for the Oilers tonight on Long Island.
“He hasn’t played as well as we’d hoped,” Edmonton head coach Dallas Eakins said today. “I talked to him this morning and he’s ready to go out and battle.”
The decision to go with Dubnyk against the Islanders comes after backup Jason LaBarbera started the last two games and surrendered seven goals on 48 shots (.854 SV%), losing 4-2 to Washington and 3-2 to Pittsburgh.
Combined, Dubnyk and LaBarbera have registered a team save percentage of .838, by far the lowest in the NHL, and by far the biggest reason the Oilers are 1-5-1 after seven games.
“It’s not like I forgot how to play goal,” said Dubnyk. “It’ll be a couple of small adjustments that will make the difference.”
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 9
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 72
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)