Oct 17, 2013, 12:51 PM EDT
The numbers are beyond ugly for Devan Dubnyk. A goals-against average of 5.43. A save percentage of .829.
Even in the ’80s, those stats would be cause for concern. In the present, they’re cause for concern and at least one major trade rumor.
Yet despite the above, Dubnyk will be back in goal for the Oilers tonight on Long Island.
“He hasn’t played as well as we’d hoped,” Edmonton head coach Dallas Eakins said today. “I talked to him this morning and he’s ready to go out and battle.”
The decision to go with Dubnyk against the Islanders comes after backup Jason LaBarbera started the last two games and surrendered seven goals on 48 shots (.854 SV%), losing 4-2 to Washington and 3-2 to Pittsburgh.
Combined, Dubnyk and LaBarbera have registered a team save percentage of .838, by far the lowest in the NHL, and by far the biggest reason the Oilers are 1-5-1 after seven games.
“It’s not like I forgot how to play goal,” said Dubnyk. “It’ll be a couple of small adjustments that will make the difference.”
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 2
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 11
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 19
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 22
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 22
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 52
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 22
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 21
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (52)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)