Oct 17, 2013, 12:32 AM EST
The collision occurred in the neutral zone as the Capitals were moving the puck up the ice early in the third period of Wednesday’s game.
Brouwer was cutting across the ice when he collided into the back of Stepan, as Stepan was backing through the neutral zone. (Click here to see the video)
It was reported after the game that Stepan, visibly shaken up on the play, had to go through the concussion protocol. He left the game, but returned later.
“I pride myself on being an honest player and tried to get out of the way,” said Brouwer, as reported by Katie Carrera of The Washington Post.
Rangers head coach Alain Vigneault wasn’t buying it.
“The referee said that it was accidental contact and…I just looked at the replay there. If he (Brouwer) couldn’t see him (Stepan) there, I don’t know what else he was looking at,” Vigneault told reporters afterward.
“Obviously the principle point of contact was the head, so, we’ll see.”
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 119
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (181)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (119)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)