Oct 17, 2013, 12:32 AM EDT
The collision occurred in the neutral zone as the Capitals were moving the puck up the ice early in the third period of Wednesday’s game.
Brouwer was cutting across the ice when he collided into the back of Stepan, as Stepan was backing through the neutral zone. (Click here to see the video)
It was reported after the game that Stepan, visibly shaken up on the play, had to go through the concussion protocol. He left the game, but returned later.
“I pride myself on being an honest player and tried to get out of the way,” said Brouwer, as reported by Katie Carrera of The Washington Post.
Rangers head coach Alain Vigneault wasn’t buying it.
“The referee said that it was accidental contact and…I just looked at the replay there. If he (Brouwer) couldn’t see him (Stepan) there, I don’t know what else he was looking at,” Vigneault told reporters afterward.
“Obviously the principle point of contact was the head, so, we’ll see.”
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 4
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 19
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 9
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 8
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 33
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 24
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)