Oct 17, 2013, 5:50 PM EST
Ryan Callahan is injured again. This time, it’s a broken thumb, suffered last night against the Capitals, that’s expected to keep the Rangers’ captain out of the lineup for 3-4 weeks.
From Blueshirts United:
The timing of the injury certainly is inopportune as the Rangers already are playing without star forward Rick Nash, who has missed three games since being on the receiving end of an elbow to the head last Tuesday in San Jose, and speedy winger Carl Hagelin, who is on long term injured reserve following his own off-season shoulder surgery. Hagelin must sit out the next four games at minimum before being eligible to play again for the Blueshirts.
In addition Callahan’s offensive game had been heating up. The two-time 20-goal scorer had notched three goals in his past two games, including a pair of power play markers Saturday in St. Louis. He also had been credited with 15 hits in the five games he had played so far.
To fill Callahan’s spot on the roster, the Rangers have called up forward Darroll Powe — not Chris Kreider, as some believe they should have — from AHL Hartford.
The Rangers are in New Jersey to play the Devils on Saturday before finishing their nine-game, season-opening road trip with visits to Philadelphia Thursday and Detroit the following Saturday.
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 0
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 27
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 49
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)