Oct 17, 2013, 5:50 PM EDT
Ryan Callahan is injured again. This time, it’s a broken thumb, suffered last night against the Capitals, that’s expected to keep the Rangers’ captain out of the lineup for 3-4 weeks.
From Blueshirts United:
The timing of the injury certainly is inopportune as the Rangers already are playing without star forward Rick Nash, who has missed three games since being on the receiving end of an elbow to the head last Tuesday in San Jose, and speedy winger Carl Hagelin, who is on long term injured reserve following his own off-season shoulder surgery. Hagelin must sit out the next four games at minimum before being eligible to play again for the Blueshirts.
In addition Callahan’s offensive game had been heating up. The two-time 20-goal scorer had notched three goals in his past two games, including a pair of power play markers Saturday in St. Louis. He also had been credited with 15 hits in the five games he had played so far.
To fill Callahan’s spot on the roster, the Rangers have called up forward Darroll Powe — not Chris Kreider, as some believe they should have — from AHL Hartford.
The Rangers are in New Jersey to play the Devils on Saturday before finishing their nine-game, season-opening road trip with visits to Philadelphia Thursday and Detroit the following Saturday.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 22
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 48
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)