Oct 17, 2013, 5:50 PM EDT
Ryan Callahan is injured again. This time, it’s a broken thumb, suffered last night against the Capitals, that’s expected to keep the Rangers’ captain out of the lineup for 3-4 weeks.
From Blueshirts United:
The timing of the injury certainly is inopportune as the Rangers already are playing without star forward Rick Nash, who has missed three games since being on the receiving end of an elbow to the head last Tuesday in San Jose, and speedy winger Carl Hagelin, who is on long term injured reserve following his own off-season shoulder surgery. Hagelin must sit out the next four games at minimum before being eligible to play again for the Blueshirts.
In addition Callahan’s offensive game had been heating up. The two-time 20-goal scorer had notched three goals in his past two games, including a pair of power play markers Saturday in St. Louis. He also had been credited with 15 hits in the five games he had played so far.
To fill Callahan’s spot on the roster, the Rangers have called up forward Darroll Powe — not Chris Kreider, as some believe they should have — from AHL Hartford.
The Rangers are in New Jersey to play the Devils on Saturday before finishing their nine-game, season-opening road trip with visits to Philadelphia Thursday and Detroit the following Saturday.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 11
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 35
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)