Oct 17, 2013, 11:44 AM EST
The Philadelphia Flyers are off to a nightmare start in 2013-14. They’re 1-6-0, dead last in the NHL with just two points. They’ve already fired their coach. They can’t score. And they can’t defend very well either.
But on the bright side, it’s only been seven games, leaving 75 contests to get back into a playoff position.
The beginning of the rest of the Flyers’ season starts tonight against the visiting Pittsburgh Penguins, who just happen to be their biggest rivals.
“The main thing is that we’ve got to get a win here,” veteran defenseman Kimmo Timonen said, per Philly.com. “It doesn’t matter if it’s the Penguins or Rangers or Columbus. We need the game, to get two points. To me, we’re right there. But it’s a business of winning games, and we’re not there.”
The Flyers lost a tough one Tuesday at home versus Vancouver when they took a 2-1 lead into the third period only to surrender a pair of Canucks goals, the decider with just 2:25 remaining.
A quirk in Philadelphia’s schedule means a full six days off before the Flyers’ next game. A win over the Pens would at least provide some optimism to take into that stretch. Another loss, however, and it’ll be an especially long wait until Thursday versus the Rangers.
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 8
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 35
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 54
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (54)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)