Oct 17, 2013, 11:44 AM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers are off to a nightmare start in 2013-14. They’re 1-6-0, dead last in the NHL with just two points. They’ve already fired their coach. They can’t score. And they can’t defend very well either.
But on the bright side, it’s only been seven games, leaving 75 contests to get back into a playoff position.
The beginning of the rest of the Flyers’ season starts tonight against the visiting Pittsburgh Penguins, who just happen to be their biggest rivals.
“The main thing is that we’ve got to get a win here,” veteran defenseman Kimmo Timonen said, per Philly.com. “It doesn’t matter if it’s the Penguins or Rangers or Columbus. We need the game, to get two points. To me, we’re right there. But it’s a business of winning games, and we’re not there.”
The Flyers lost a tough one Tuesday at home versus Vancouver when they took a 2-1 lead into the third period only to surrender a pair of Canucks goals, the decider with just 2:25 remaining.
A quirk in Philadelphia’s schedule means a full six days off before the Flyers’ next game. A win over the Pens would at least provide some optimism to take into that stretch. Another loss, however, and it’ll be an especially long wait until Thursday versus the Rangers.
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 1
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 7
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 19
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 27
- Video: Stamkos ends goal drought in style 9
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 32
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)