Oct 17, 2013, 11:44 AM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers are off to a nightmare start in 2013-14. They’re 1-6-0, dead last in the NHL with just two points. They’ve already fired their coach. They can’t score. And they can’t defend very well either.
But on the bright side, it’s only been seven games, leaving 75 contests to get back into a playoff position.
The beginning of the rest of the Flyers’ season starts tonight against the visiting Pittsburgh Penguins, who just happen to be their biggest rivals.
“The main thing is that we’ve got to get a win here,” veteran defenseman Kimmo Timonen said, per Philly.com. “It doesn’t matter if it’s the Penguins or Rangers or Columbus. We need the game, to get two points. To me, we’re right there. But it’s a business of winning games, and we’re not there.”
The Flyers lost a tough one Tuesday at home versus Vancouver when they took a 2-1 lead into the third period only to surrender a pair of Canucks goals, the decider with just 2:25 remaining.
A quirk in Philadelphia’s schedule means a full six days off before the Flyers’ next game. A win over the Pens would at least provide some optimism to take into that stretch. Another loss, however, and it’ll be an especially long wait until Thursday versus the Rangers.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 70
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)