Oct 17, 2013, 11:44 AM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers are off to a nightmare start in 2013-14. They’re 1-6-0, dead last in the NHL with just two points. They’ve already fired their coach. They can’t score. And they can’t defend very well either.
But on the bright side, it’s only been seven games, leaving 75 contests to get back into a playoff position.
The beginning of the rest of the Flyers’ season starts tonight against the visiting Pittsburgh Penguins, who just happen to be their biggest rivals.
“The main thing is that we’ve got to get a win here,” veteran defenseman Kimmo Timonen said, per Philly.com. “It doesn’t matter if it’s the Penguins or Rangers or Columbus. We need the game, to get two points. To me, we’re right there. But it’s a business of winning games, and we’re not there.”
The Flyers lost a tough one Tuesday at home versus Vancouver when they took a 2-1 lead into the third period only to surrender a pair of Canucks goals, the decider with just 2:25 remaining.
A quirk in Philadelphia’s schedule means a full six days off before the Flyers’ next game. A win over the Pens would at least provide some optimism to take into that stretch. Another loss, however, and it’ll be an especially long wait until Thursday versus the Rangers.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)