Oct 17, 2013, 11:44 AM EDT
The Philadelphia Flyers are off to a nightmare start in 2013-14. They’re 1-6-0, dead last in the NHL with just two points. They’ve already fired their coach. They can’t score. And they can’t defend very well either.
But on the bright side, it’s only been seven games, leaving 75 contests to get back into a playoff position.
The beginning of the rest of the Flyers’ season starts tonight against the visiting Pittsburgh Penguins, who just happen to be their biggest rivals.
“The main thing is that we’ve got to get a win here,” veteran defenseman Kimmo Timonen said, per Philly.com. “It doesn’t matter if it’s the Penguins or Rangers or Columbus. We need the game, to get two points. To me, we’re right there. But it’s a business of winning games, and we’re not there.”
The Flyers lost a tough one Tuesday at home versus Vancouver when they took a 2-1 lead into the third period only to surrender a pair of Canucks goals, the decider with just 2:25 remaining.
A quirk in Philadelphia’s schedule means a full six days off before the Flyers’ next game. A win over the Pens would at least provide some optimism to take into that stretch. Another loss, however, and it’ll be an especially long wait until Thursday versus the Rangers.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 115
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (115)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (40)