Oct 16, 2013, 1:10 PM EDT
With zero goals, one assist, a minus-1 rating and just 12 shots through seven games this season, it’s clear Dany Heatley is struggling to make an impact with the Wild.
Just ask his head coach.
“I’m not going to say he’s at his best right now,” Mike Yeo told the Minnesota Star-Tribune following Tuesday’s 4-1 loss to Toronto. “But I also know that he’s capable of more, and I also know that we need him right now.
“It’s easy to say, ‘Let’s just take him out,’ but with who? Who do you put in instead?”
Considered to be a prime compliance buyout candidate this summer, Heatley was “saved” by the fact he was nursing a shoulder injury.
Injured players were ineligible to be bought out, meaning Minnesota had to retain Heatley and his $7.5 million cap hit — the highest on the team — for one more year.
If there’s a bright side, it’s that Heatley’s deal is up at the end of the year…but that’s small reward for a Minnesota team looking to improve upon last season’s eighth-place finish in the Western Conference. The Wild want results now.
That said, GM Chuck Fletcher is trying to preach patience with the situation.
“I think it’s too early for anything, whether you’re winning or losing, you have to give it a lot more than six games on any player,” Fletcher said. “There’s a tendency in every sport to overreact on any little positive or negative early in the season.
“It’s human nature, I get it. But there’s 76 games to go.”
- Drouin out 3-4 weeks with fractured thumb 0
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 6
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry’ 8
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 34
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)