Oct 16, 2013, 2:59 PM EDT
Depending where you stand on these things, the Toronto Maple Leafs were either admirable in their opportunism or plain old lucky to beat the Wild, 4-1, last night despite getting outshot by a huge margin, 37-14.
Or, if you’re Toronto head coach Randy Carlyle, you can stand somewhere in the middle.
“We know we can play to a higher level and play a better puck-possession game than what we have so far,” said Carlyle, per TSN’s Jonas Siegel.
“We’re happy to take 6-1, but there’s a but,” he added, per Michael Traikos of the National Post.
The Leafs may be 6-1-0 and tied for the most points in the NHL, but there remain doubts about their ability to keep winning the way they’re currently doing it — which is with a combination of great goaltending, timely scoring, and excellent special teams.
A couple of stats to consider: 1) Toronto has won four of the fives games in which its opponent has registered more shots. 2) Only four teams have surrendered more shots on average than the Leafs (34.6).
It all makes for a compelling narrative, especially if you’ve been following the whole “advanced stats” debate surrounding the Leafs.
Toronto’s next game is Thursday at home to Carolina.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)