Oct 16, 2013, 2:59 PM EDT
Depending where you stand on these things, the Toronto Maple Leafs were either admirable in their opportunism or plain old lucky to beat the Wild, 4-1, last night despite getting outshot by a huge margin, 37-14.
Or, if you’re Toronto head coach Randy Carlyle, you can stand somewhere in the middle.
“We know we can play to a higher level and play a better puck-possession game than what we have so far,” said Carlyle, per TSN’s Jonas Siegel.
“We’re happy to take 6-1, but there’s a but,” he added, per Michael Traikos of the National Post.
The Leafs may be 6-1-0 and tied for the most points in the NHL, but there remain doubts about their ability to keep winning the way they’re currently doing it — which is with a combination of great goaltending, timely scoring, and excellent special teams.
A couple of stats to consider: 1) Toronto has won four of the fives games in which its opponent has registered more shots. 2) Only four teams have surrendered more shots on average than the Leafs (34.6).
It all makes for a compelling narrative, especially if you’ve been following the whole “advanced stats” debate surrounding the Leafs.
Toronto’s next game is Thursday at home to Carolina.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 10
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 73
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)