Oct 16, 2013, 2:59 PM EDT
Depending where you stand on these things, the Toronto Maple Leafs were either admirable in their opportunism or plain old lucky to beat the Wild, 4-1, last night despite getting outshot by a huge margin, 37-14.
Or, if you’re Toronto head coach Randy Carlyle, you can stand somewhere in the middle.
“We know we can play to a higher level and play a better puck-possession game than what we have so far,” said Carlyle, per TSN’s Jonas Siegel.
“We’re happy to take 6-1, but there’s a but,” he added, per Michael Traikos of the National Post.
The Leafs may be 6-1-0 and tied for the most points in the NHL, but there remain doubts about their ability to keep winning the way they’re currently doing it — which is with a combination of great goaltending, timely scoring, and excellent special teams.
A couple of stats to consider: 1) Toronto has won four of the fives games in which its opponent has registered more shots. 2) Only four teams have surrendered more shots on average than the Leafs (34.6).
It all makes for a compelling narrative, especially if you’ve been following the whole “advanced stats” debate surrounding the Leafs.
Toronto’s next game is Thursday at home to Carolina.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)