Oct 16, 2013, 4:38 PM EST
With minimal practice time to get used to coach Alain Vigneault’s system, it’s no huge surprise the Rangers have struggled to start the season. A new coach typically means an adjustment period for the team.
Now, granted, the extent of their struggles is surprising — when an NHL team loses the way New York has lost, there’s more than just one thing going wrong — but according to veteran forward Brad Richards, one notable difference between Vigneault’s system and the one the Rangers played under former bench boss John Tortorella occurs in the neutral zone when the opposition has the puck.
“Basically, there’s a difference in when we pressure the puck in the neutral zone,” Richards said, per the New York Post. “With Torts, the forwards went to the puck right away and the defense read off that.
“Now, it’s more that we want to push the puck into the middle and form a triangle where we push out and read off that. There’s an adjustment there, and if there’s a delay in reacting and the difference because of that is four or five feet, it may not sound like a lot, but it is.”
Again, learning a new system can’t explain how badly the Rangers have lost games, like 9-2 in San Jose and 6-0 two nights later in Anaheim. As Richards says, “The overall message that we have to embrace is that ‘Hockey is hockey.’”
But certainly the Rangers’ neutral-zone defending will be worth watching tonight in Washington against the likes of Alex Ovechkin, a player they really won’t want to let fly through the middle of the ice like this…
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 0
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 20
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 40
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)