Oct 16, 2013, 4:38 PM EST
With minimal practice time to get used to coach Alain Vigneault’s system, it’s no huge surprise the Rangers have struggled to start the season. A new coach typically means an adjustment period for the team.
Now, granted, the extent of their struggles is surprising — when an NHL team loses the way New York has lost, there’s more than just one thing going wrong — but according to veteran forward Brad Richards, one notable difference between Vigneault’s system and the one the Rangers played under former bench boss John Tortorella occurs in the neutral zone when the opposition has the puck.
“Basically, there’s a difference in when we pressure the puck in the neutral zone,” Richards said, per the New York Post. “With Torts, the forwards went to the puck right away and the defense read off that.
“Now, it’s more that we want to push the puck into the middle and form a triangle where we push out and read off that. There’s an adjustment there, and if there’s a delay in reacting and the difference because of that is four or five feet, it may not sound like a lot, but it is.”
Again, learning a new system can’t explain how badly the Rangers have lost games, like 9-2 in San Jose and 6-0 two nights later in Anaheim. As Richards says, “The overall message that we have to embrace is that ‘Hockey is hockey.'”
But certainly the Rangers’ neutral-zone defending will be worth watching tonight in Washington against the likes of Alex Ovechkin, a player they really won’t want to let fly through the middle of the ice like this…
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 17
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 11
- The Atlantic Division race is going to be fascinating 18
- Flyers rally as Zepp wins his career debut at 33 years old 22
- Oilers squander three-goal lead, lose 18th time in 19 games 11
- Pickard makes one last bid to stay, beats Wings in nine-round SO 6
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno 39
- Giroux line takes Leafs ‘to school’ in Flyers’ 7-4 victory 17
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 18
- Ovechkin scores beauty as Caps shutout Devils 8