Oct 16, 2013, 6:23 PM EST
New York could be getting some much-needed lineup reinforcements soon.
The club cleared Carl Hagelin for contact on Wednesday, according to the New York Post. Hagelin has missed all five of the Rangers’ games this season — and, prior to those, the entire exhibition campaign — after undergoing corrective shoulder surgery during the summer.
Hagelin, 25, should resume full practices this week and, according to the Post’s Larry Brooks, is targeting a return date of Oct. 29 against the New York Islanders — the earliest he can be activated after being placed on long-term injured reserve to start the season.
If everything goes to plan, Hagelin will have missed 10 games all told.
The speedy winger will be a nice addition to the Blueshirts’ lineup. The lockout-shortened ’13 campaign was a good one for Hagelin, as he posted 10 goals and 24 points in 48 games, chipping in with another six points in 12 playoff contests.
He also averaged 17:18 TOI per game in the regular season — up from 15:03 in his rookie year — and played over 18 a night during the postseason.
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 5
- Why are the Oilers still bad? Look at their drafting 16
- The Leafs are worth almost seven times the Panthers, says Forbes 14
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? 41
- Crosby, Malkin power Penguins, help Fleury grab 300th win 5
- Sooner than later? Bruins GM hopes Chara can return in 10-14 days 1
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 22
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 14
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 8
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 15
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)