Oct 16, 2013, 6:23 PM EST
New York could be getting some much-needed lineup reinforcements soon.
The club cleared Carl Hagelin for contact on Wednesday, according to the New York Post. Hagelin has missed all five of the Rangers’ games this season — and, prior to those, the entire exhibition campaign — after undergoing corrective shoulder surgery during the summer.
Hagelin, 25, should resume full practices this week and, according to the Post’s Larry Brooks, is targeting a return date of Oct. 29 against the New York Islanders — the earliest he can be activated after being placed on long-term injured reserve to start the season.
If everything goes to plan, Hagelin will have missed 10 games all told.
The speedy winger will be a nice addition to the Blueshirts’ lineup. The lockout-shortened ’13 campaign was a good one for Hagelin, as he posted 10 goals and 24 points in 48 games, chipping in with another six points in 12 playoff contests.
He also averaged 17:18 TOI per game in the regular season — up from 15:03 in his rookie year — and played over 18 a night during the postseason.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 6
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)