Oct 16, 2013, 6:23 PM EST
New York could be getting some much-needed lineup reinforcements soon.
The club cleared Carl Hagelin for contact on Wednesday, according to the New York Post. Hagelin has missed all five of the Rangers’ games this season — and, prior to those, the entire exhibition campaign — after undergoing corrective shoulder surgery during the summer.
Hagelin, 25, should resume full practices this week and, according to the Post’s Larry Brooks, is targeting a return date of Oct. 29 against the New York Islanders — the earliest he can be activated after being placed on long-term injured reserve to start the season.
If everything goes to plan, Hagelin will have missed 10 games all told.
The speedy winger will be a nice addition to the Blueshirts’ lineup. The lockout-shortened ’13 campaign was a good one for Hagelin, as he posted 10 goals and 24 points in 48 games, chipping in with another six points in 12 playoff contests.
He also averaged 17:18 TOI per game in the regular season — up from 15:03 in his rookie year — and played over 18 a night during the postseason.
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 65
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (149)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)