Oct 16, 2013, 7:11 PM EST
The Tampa Bay Lightning have recalled Brett Connolly — the sixth overall pick at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft — from AHL Syracuse, the club announced on Wednesday.
Connolly, 21, was thought to be in the running to make the Lightning out of training camp, having appeared in 68 games for the Lightning during the 2011-12 season and five during the lockout-shortened ’13 campaign.
Connolly also tied for the Bolts’ scoring lead during this past preseason, with four goals in five games.
The Lightning are a little banged up at the moment, hence Connolly’s recall. Captain Martin St. Louis didn’t practice on Wednesday because of a lower-body injury, while Tom Pyatt is out ’til late November-early December with a broken collarbone.
How long Connolly sticks at the NHL level remains to be seen.
Upon sending Connolly down to Syracuse at the end of camp, Bolts GM Steve Yzerman said the ex-WHL Prince George standout “had a great camp and will play for us,” but noted a lack of space in the top nine forwards, saying “I don’t want him playing on the fourth line.”
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 41
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 27
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 43
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 22
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 84
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)