Oct 16, 2013, 7:11 PM EDT
The Tampa Bay Lightning have recalled Brett Connolly — the sixth overall pick at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft — from AHL Syracuse, the club announced on Wednesday.
Connolly, 21, was thought to be in the running to make the Lightning out of training camp, having appeared in 68 games for the Lightning during the 2011-12 season and five during the lockout-shortened ’13 campaign.
Connolly also tied for the Bolts’ scoring lead during this past preseason, with four goals in five games.
The Lightning are a little banged up at the moment, hence Connolly’s recall. Captain Martin St. Louis didn’t practice on Wednesday because of a lower-body injury, while Tom Pyatt is out ’til late November-early December with a broken collarbone.
How long Connolly sticks at the NHL level remains to be seen.
Upon sending Connolly down to Syracuse at the end of camp, Bolts GM Steve Yzerman said the ex-WHL Prince George standout “had a great camp and will play for us,” but noted a lack of space in the top nine forwards, saying “I don’t want him playing on the fourth line.”
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 36
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 20
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 16
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 22
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 33
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 14
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 126
- Oilers get Sekera for six years, closing in on Letestu 7
- Avalanche sign veteran d-man Beauchemin for three years 6
- Neely was ‘surprised’ that Hamilton didn’t want to sign with Bruins 15
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (126)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)