Oct 16, 2013, 7:11 PM EDT
The Tampa Bay Lightning have recalled Brett Connolly — the sixth overall pick at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft — from AHL Syracuse, the club announced on Wednesday.
Connolly, 21, was thought to be in the running to make the Lightning out of training camp, having appeared in 68 games for the Lightning during the 2011-12 season and five during the lockout-shortened ’13 campaign.
Connolly also tied for the Bolts’ scoring lead during this past preseason, with four goals in five games.
The Lightning are a little banged up at the moment, hence Connolly’s recall. Captain Martin St. Louis didn’t practice on Wednesday because of a lower-body injury, while Tom Pyatt is out ’til late November-early December with a broken collarbone.
How long Connolly sticks at the NHL level remains to be seen.
Upon sending Connolly down to Syracuse at the end of camp, Bolts GM Steve Yzerman said the ex-WHL Prince George standout “had a great camp and will play for us,” but noted a lack of space in the top nine forwards, saying “I don’t want him playing on the fourth line.”
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 11
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 35
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)