Oct 16, 2013, 7:11 PM EDT
The Tampa Bay Lightning have recalled Brett Connolly — the sixth overall pick at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft — from AHL Syracuse, the club announced on Wednesday.
Connolly, 21, was thought to be in the running to make the Lightning out of training camp, having appeared in 68 games for the Lightning during the 2011-12 season and five during the lockout-shortened ’13 campaign.
Connolly also tied for the Bolts’ scoring lead during this past preseason, with four goals in five games.
The Lightning are a little banged up at the moment, hence Connolly’s recall. Captain Martin St. Louis didn’t practice on Wednesday because of a lower-body injury, while Tom Pyatt is out ’til late November-early December with a broken collarbone.
How long Connolly sticks at the NHL level remains to be seen.
Upon sending Connolly down to Syracuse at the end of camp, Bolts GM Steve Yzerman said the ex-WHL Prince George standout “had a great camp and will play for us,” but noted a lack of space in the top nine forwards, saying “I don’t want him playing on the fourth line.”
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 0
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 8
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 38
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 7
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 5
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)