Oct 16, 2013, 7:11 PM EDT
The Tampa Bay Lightning have recalled Brett Connolly — the sixth overall pick at the 2010 NHL Entry Draft — from AHL Syracuse, the club announced on Wednesday.
Connolly, 21, was thought to be in the running to make the Lightning out of training camp, having appeared in 68 games for the Lightning during the 2011-12 season and five during the lockout-shortened ’13 campaign.
Connolly also tied for the Bolts’ scoring lead during this past preseason, with four goals in five games.
The Lightning are a little banged up at the moment, hence Connolly’s recall. Captain Martin St. Louis didn’t practice on Wednesday because of a lower-body injury, while Tom Pyatt is out ’til late November-early December with a broken collarbone.
How long Connolly sticks at the NHL level remains to be seen.
Upon sending Connolly down to Syracuse at the end of camp, Bolts GM Steve Yzerman said the ex-WHL Prince George standout “had a great camp and will play for us,” but noted a lack of space in the top nine forwards, saying “I don’t want him playing on the fourth line.”
- Kopitar + adorable dog = best day with the Stanley Cup? 6
- With Dubinsky locked up, Jackets next task is re-signing Johansen 6
- Lightning sign Brenden Morrow for one year 31
- Jackets sign Dubinsky through 2020-21 39
- AHL’s new overtime rules include 3-on-3 play 27
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration 72
- Armstrong lays out what Blues offered KHL-bound Sobotka 15
- Blues re-sign Ott; Sobotka to KHL? 35
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal 62
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions 171
- Big money: Toews, Kane sign eight-year, $84 million extensions (171)
- Report: Avs, O’Reilly likely headed to arbitration (72)
- Boyle wanted Big Apple after playing in ‘nontraditional hockey markets’ of Florida, California (63)
- Devils ink Schneider to reported seven-year, $42 million deal (62)
- Report: Sidney Crosby will undergo wrist surgery (59)