Oct 16, 2013, 4:09 PM EDT
“First of all, I would like to apologize to Dan,” Lapierre told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. “You never want to see someone feel that way and, as tough as it is to look at for the fans and his teammates, I feel the same way.
Lapierre, who was tossed from Tuesday night’s game and now faces an in-person disciplinary hearing with the NHL’s Department of Player Safety, said it wasn’t his intention to hurt Boyle, adding he was just trying to finish his hit.
That said, Lapierre recognized and acknowledged his responsibility in a collision that led to Boyle being knocked unconscious and stretchered off the ice.
“I was just trying to finish my hit. But like I said, it’s no excuse,” Lapierre explained. “It’s terrible. It’s not fun to look at somebody on the ice and the only thing I want to focus on right now is that hopefully he gets better.
“I feel terrible for him and his family.”
Lapierre, known around the league as “Yappy Lappy,” also addressed his reputation as a dirty player that likes to chirp opponents. He was hopeful that reputation wouldn’t prevent Boyle from eventually speaking with him about the incident (Lapierre has already tried to contact Boyle, but Boyle didn’t answer).
“Obviously, it’s a tough day for him and his family and it’s tough for him to answer a guy who just hit him,” Lapierre said. “But I’m going to try to call him back later in the year when it’s a better point.”
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 22
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 17
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 52
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 12
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 22
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 24
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 39