Oct 16, 2013, 4:09 PM EDT
“First of all, I would like to apologize to Dan,” Lapierre told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. “You never want to see someone feel that way and, as tough as it is to look at for the fans and his teammates, I feel the same way.
Lapierre, who was tossed from Tuesday night’s game and now faces an in-person disciplinary hearing with the NHL’s Department of Player Safety, said it wasn’t his intention to hurt Boyle, adding he was just trying to finish his hit.
That said, Lapierre recognized and acknowledged his responsibility in a collision that led to Boyle being knocked unconscious and stretchered off the ice.
“I was just trying to finish my hit. But like I said, it’s no excuse,” Lapierre explained. “It’s terrible. It’s not fun to look at somebody on the ice and the only thing I want to focus on right now is that hopefully he gets better.
“I feel terrible for him and his family.”
Lapierre, known around the league as “Yappy Lappy,” also addressed his reputation as a dirty player that likes to chirp opponents. He was hopeful that reputation wouldn’t prevent Boyle from eventually speaking with him about the incident (Lapierre has already tried to contact Boyle, but Boyle didn’t answer).
“Obviously, it’s a tough day for him and his family and it’s tough for him to answer a guy who just hit him,” Lapierre said. “But I’m going to try to call him back later in the year when it’s a better point.”
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 0
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 13
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 30
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 3
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 14
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 34
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)