Oct 16, 2013, 4:09 PM EST
“First of all, I would like to apologize to Dan,” Lapierre told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. “You never want to see someone feel that way and, as tough as it is to look at for the fans and his teammates, I feel the same way.
Lapierre, who was tossed from Tuesday night’s game and now faces an in-person disciplinary hearing with the NHL’s Department of Player Safety, said it wasn’t his intention to hurt Boyle, adding he was just trying to finish his hit.
That said, Lapierre recognized and acknowledged his responsibility in a collision that led to Boyle being knocked unconscious and stretchered off the ice.
“I was just trying to finish my hit. But like I said, it’s no excuse,” Lapierre explained. “It’s terrible. It’s not fun to look at somebody on the ice and the only thing I want to focus on right now is that hopefully he gets better.
“I feel terrible for him and his family.”
Lapierre, known around the league as “Yappy Lappy,” also addressed his reputation as a dirty player that likes to chirp opponents. He was hopeful that reputation wouldn’t prevent Boyle from eventually speaking with him about the incident (Lapierre has already tried to contact Boyle, but Boyle didn’t answer).
“Obviously, it’s a tough day for him and his family and it’s tough for him to answer a guy who just hit him,” Lapierre said. “But I’m going to try to call him back later in the year when it’s a better point.”
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)