Oct 16, 2013, 4:09 PM EDT
“First of all, I would like to apologize to Dan,” Lapierre told the St. Louis Post-Dispatch. “You never want to see someone feel that way and, as tough as it is to look at for the fans and his teammates, I feel the same way.
Lapierre, who was tossed from Tuesday night’s game and now faces an in-person disciplinary hearing with the NHL’s Department of Player Safety, said it wasn’t his intention to hurt Boyle, adding he was just trying to finish his hit.
That said, Lapierre recognized and acknowledged his responsibility in a collision that led to Boyle being knocked unconscious and stretchered off the ice.
“I was just trying to finish my hit. But like I said, it’s no excuse,” Lapierre explained. “It’s terrible. It’s not fun to look at somebody on the ice and the only thing I want to focus on right now is that hopefully he gets better.
“I feel terrible for him and his family.”
Lapierre, known around the league as “Yappy Lappy,” also addressed his reputation as a dirty player that likes to chirp opponents. He was hopeful that reputation wouldn’t prevent Boyle from eventually speaking with him about the incident (Lapierre has already tried to contact Boyle, but Boyle didn’t answer).
“Obviously, it’s a tough day for him and his family and it’s tough for him to answer a guy who just hit him,” Lapierre said. “But I’m going to try to call him back later in the year when it’s a better point.”
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 0
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 6
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 28
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 39
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Lucic regrets handshake-line actions, but isn’t apologizing (58)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)