Oct 16, 2013, 10:52 PM EST
Rivalry Night on NHL on NBCSN was rather one-sided Wednesday night.
The New York Rangers scored twice in the second period but had the run of the play for pretty much the entire night in a 2-0 victory over the host Washington Capitals.
The Rangers, playing their sixth game of a nine-game road trip to begin the season, not only got the victory, but they outshot the Capitals 36-22.
- Remember when Brad Richards was a healthy scratch for the Rangers in the 2013 Stanley Cup playoffs? Seems like a distant memory. Richards had a pair of assists in Wednesday’s win for New York, and now has seven points in his first six games.
- The Capitals had the best power play coming into the night, operating at 36.4 per cent. However, they were unsuccessful in four opportunities Wednesday.
- How about this statistics, from the NHL: the Rangers were 87-0-6 in their last 93 regular season games when leading after two periods. Make that 94 games.
- Rangers forward Derek Stepan left the game early in the third period but later returned after taking a hit from Capitals forward Troy Brouwer.
- Line of the night (below):
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 16
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 66
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 42
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (124)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (66)