Oct 16, 2013, 10:52 PM EDT
Rivalry Night on NHL on NBCSN was rather one-sided Wednesday night.
The New York Rangers scored twice in the second period but had the run of the play for pretty much the entire night in a 2-0 victory over the host Washington Capitals.
The Rangers, playing their sixth game of a nine-game road trip to begin the season, not only got the victory, but they outshot the Capitals 36-22.
- Remember when Brad Richards was a healthy scratch for the Rangers in the 2013 Stanley Cup playoffs? Seems like a distant memory. Richards had a pair of assists in Wednesday’s win for New York, and now has seven points in his first six games.
- The Capitals had the best power play coming into the night, operating at 36.4 per cent. However, they were unsuccessful in four opportunities Wednesday.
- How about this statistics, from the NHL: the Rangers were 87-0-6 in their last 93 regular season games when leading after two periods. Make that 94 games.
- Rangers forward Derek Stepan left the game early in the third period but later returned after taking a hit from Capitals forward Troy Brouwer.
- Line of the night (below):
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 6
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7
- Penguins outlast Blue Jackets, take Game 1 56
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers 79
- Bulletin-board material: Why your team won’t win the Stanley Cup 36
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? 57
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 35
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 10
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 42
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Emery to start Game 1 versus Rangers (79)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- PHT staff picks: Who’s going to win the Stanley Cup? (57)