Oct 16, 2013, 10:52 PM EST
Rivalry Night on NHL on NBCSN was rather one-sided Wednesday night.
The New York Rangers scored twice in the second period but had the run of the play for pretty much the entire night in a 2-0 victory over the host Washington Capitals.
The Rangers, playing their sixth game of a nine-game road trip to begin the season, not only got the victory, but they outshot the Capitals 36-22.
- Remember when Brad Richards was a healthy scratch for the Rangers in the 2013 Stanley Cup playoffs? Seems like a distant memory. Richards had a pair of assists in Wednesday’s win for New York, and now has seven points in his first six games.
- The Capitals had the best power play coming into the night, operating at 36.4 per cent. However, they were unsuccessful in four opportunities Wednesday.
- How about this statistics, from the NHL: the Rangers were 87-0-6 in their last 93 regular season games when leading after two periods. Make that 94 games.
- Rangers forward Derek Stepan left the game early in the third period but later returned after taking a hit from Capitals forward Troy Brouwer.
- Line of the night (below):
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 41
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 117
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (118)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)