Oct 16, 2013, 1:44 PM EDT
Clowe, who suffered a headache after taking an elbow against Winnipeg on Sunday, will miss the Devils’ next two games — Thursday against Ottawa and Saturday against the New York Rangers.
“He got hit with a pretty good elbow in the third period and continued to play,” Devils GM Lou Lamoriello explained. “We just maybe overreacted to it, but when somebody’s had a history, we don’t want to take any chances.”
Lamoriello is referring to last season, when Clowe missed the last game of the regular season and 10 playoff games with a concussion. The injury kept him off the ice for quite some time, and he was only greenlit to return to playing in late June.
A few days later, the Devils signed Clowe to a massive five-year, $24.25 million deal. He’s proceeded to appear in six games thus far but has struggled, registering just one assist while posting a minus-5 rating as the Devils have started the year 0-3-3.
Replacing Clowe on the active roster will be forward Mattias Tedenby, who has been activated from the injured non-roster list.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 17
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 10
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 40
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)