Oct 16, 2013, 1:44 PM EDT
Clowe, who suffered a headache after taking an elbow against Winnipeg on Sunday, will miss the Devils’ next two games — Thursday against Ottawa and Saturday against the New York Rangers.
“He got hit with a pretty good elbow in the third period and continued to play,” Devils GM Lou Lamoriello explained. “We just maybe overreacted to it, but when somebody’s had a history, we don’t want to take any chances.”
Lamoriello is referring to last season, when Clowe missed the last game of the regular season and 10 playoff games with a concussion. The injury kept him off the ice for quite some time, and he was only greenlit to return to playing in late June.
A few days later, the Devils signed Clowe to a massive five-year, $24.25 million deal. He’s proceeded to appear in six games thus far but has struggled, registering just one assist while posting a minus-5 rating as the Devils have started the year 0-3-3.
Replacing Clowe on the active roster will be forward Mattias Tedenby, who has been activated from the injured non-roster list.
- Video: Burrows catches Emelin with a late hit (Updated) 5
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 19
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 4
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 20
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 9
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)