Oct 16, 2013, 1:44 PM EST
Clowe, who suffered a headache after taking an elbow against Winnipeg on Sunday, will miss the Devils’ next two games — Thursday against Ottawa and Saturday against the New York Rangers.
“He got hit with a pretty good elbow in the third period and continued to play,” Devils GM Lou Lamoriello explained. “We just maybe overreacted to it, but when somebody’s had a history, we don’t want to take any chances.”
Lamoriello is referring to last season, when Clowe missed the last game of the regular season and 10 playoff games with a concussion. The injury kept him off the ice for quite some time, and he was only greenlit to return to playing in late June.
A few days later, the Devils signed Clowe to a massive five-year, $24.25 million deal. He’s proceeded to appear in six games thus far but has struggled, registering just one assist while posting a minus-5 rating as the Devils have started the year 0-3-3.
Replacing Clowe on the active roster will be forward Mattias Tedenby, who has been activated from the injured non-roster list.
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 27
- Mike Richards clears waivers 31
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 14
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 54
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 33
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)