Oct 16, 2013, 1:44 PM EST
Clowe, who suffered a headache after taking an elbow against Winnipeg on Sunday, will miss the Devils’ next two games — Thursday against Ottawa and Saturday against the New York Rangers.
“He got hit with a pretty good elbow in the third period and continued to play,” Devils GM Lou Lamoriello explained. “We just maybe overreacted to it, but when somebody’s had a history, we don’t want to take any chances.”
Lamoriello is referring to last season, when Clowe missed the last game of the regular season and 10 playoff games with a concussion. The injury kept him off the ice for quite some time, and he was only greenlit to return to playing in late June.
A few days later, the Devils signed Clowe to a massive five-year, $24.25 million deal. He’s proceeded to appear in six games thus far but has struggled, registering just one assist while posting a minus-5 rating as the Devils have started the year 0-3-3.
Replacing Clowe on the active roster will be forward Mattias Tedenby, who has been activated from the injured non-roster list.
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 0
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 27
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 49
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)