Oct 16, 2013, 3:36 PM EDT
Boston is 3-2-0 thus far with 12 goals scored — not a bad start to the season, but certainly not great.
Just ask the GM.
“We’re missing the net a lot,” Peter Chiarelli told the Boston Herald following Monday’s 3-2 loss to Detroit. “We’re not making the plays we should be making.”
Chiarelli explained that while he’s “OK” with his team’s start to the season — saying he likes the effort, personnel and puck movement — there is concern about the club’s inability to score goals.
Through five games, Boston sits 25th in 5-on-5 goals (seven), 25th in 5-on-4 goals (two) and 20th in goals per game (2.40).
“I think we’re squeezing our sticks,” Chiarelli explained. “We’re getting a lot of chances. Our scoring will come. We are getting a lot of looks.”
One of the prime culprits for Boston’s lack of goals is Jarome Iginla. The 36-year-old winger leads the team with 19 shots on goal and is playing heavy minutes — 21:13 against Detroit on Monday — but has yet to find the back of the net.
Iginla is trying to stay positive, but admits the scoring drought is frustrating.
“I think it’s probably just being a little too anxious,” he told CSNNE. “[I’m] just lifting my head up. You want to get that goal for the team, and just get one, and get feeling it. At times you squeeze a little too hard, it’s all those clichés and sayings you hear.
“You try to swing a little too hard and lift [your] head a little bit. [I’m] just not in a grove there where you just want to kind of will it into the net as opposed to letting it happen.”
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 68
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 42
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 32
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 22
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 3
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 56
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)