Oct 16, 2013, 12:00 AM EST
After Tuesday’s action, there are two teams that haven’t lost a game so far in the 2013-14 season: the Colorado Avalanche and San Jose Sharks. The Avs didn’t cruise like the Sharks did tonight, sweating out a 3-2 win against the Dallas Stars to extend their hot start to 6-0-0.
Semyon Varlamov really stole the show. He stopped 39 out of 41 Stars shots, including 34 out of 35 as Dallas threw a ton of shots at the Colorado net in the last two periods. This is the first time the 25-year-old allowed more than one goal in a game this season. He’s been especially stupendous in his last two starts, stopping an amazing 79 out of 82 shots.
(Of course, that’s probably evidence that the Avalanche need to tighten things up a bit if they want to be more than a team with a lucky start.)
Matt Duchene scored two goals to continue his also-impressive start, as he now has seven points in his first six games.
It’s difficult to really gauge the 2-3-0 Stars so far, although Tyler Seguin is clearly trying; he doubled his shot total with seven on net tonight and collected an assist to push his season points total to seven in five contests.
- Is the NHL getting closer to putting a team in Vegas? 0
- Martin Jones gets another shutout, remains undefeated 21
- Video: Tom Wilson gets tossed for charging Brayden Schenn 57
- Video: Kyle Quincey ejected for boarding Ryan Getzlaf 16
- NHL on NBCSN: Third time’s the charm for Flyers vs Capitals? 8
- Video: Penguins defeat Leafs, Bortuzzo called for illegal hit to head 71
- Potter suspended two games for boarding Bonino 3
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension 107
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver 101
- Pittsburgh’s special teams have been pretty good; Florida’s not so much 3
- Updated: NHL suspends Thornton 15 games for Orpik attack (155)
- Janssen: Orpik should’ve fought Thornton, then ‘everything would have quieted down’ (123)
- Bylsma: Neal needs to learn from Marchand hit (114)
- Reports: Thornton will appeal 15-game suspension (107)
- Lucic addresses fight video, says he’s ‘disgusted and outraged’ by Vancouver (101)