Oct 15, 2013, 1:05 PM EST
Edmonton (1-4-1) lost both games without Yakupov in the lineup, 6-5 in overtime to Toronto Saturday and 4-2 Sunday in Washington.
The decision by Eakins to scratch the 20-year-old former first overall pick has led to all sorts of conjecture, from the chances of a trade to even the possibility that Yakupov returns to Russia to play in the KHL.
In reality, Yakupov was first scratched after four games in which he failed to register a point. Then, after the Oilers played well enough to win versus the Leafs, Eakins scratched him again for the Washington game.
We won’t completely discount the chances of a trade down the line, if only because the Oilers have so many talented young forwards and are weak in other areas. But for now, let’s see how Yakupov does tonight in Pittsburgh against a Penguins side that could fill the net if Edmonton doesn’t get some halfway decent goaltending.
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 39
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 7
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (56)