Oct 15, 2013, 1:05 PM EDT
Edmonton (1-4-1) lost both games without Yakupov in the lineup, 6-5 in overtime to Toronto Saturday and 4-2 Sunday in Washington.
The decision by Eakins to scratch the 20-year-old former first overall pick has led to all sorts of conjecture, from the chances of a trade to even the possibility that Yakupov returns to Russia to play in the KHL.
In reality, Yakupov was first scratched after four games in which he failed to register a point. Then, after the Oilers played well enough to win versus the Leafs, Eakins scratched him again for the Washington game.
We won’t completely discount the chances of a trade down the line, if only because the Oilers have so many talented young forwards and are weak in other areas. But for now, let’s see how Yakupov does tonight in Pittsburgh against a Penguins side that could fill the net if Edmonton doesn’t get some halfway decent goaltending.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 10
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 55
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)