Oct 15, 2013, 12:13 PM EDT
Howard, 29, suffered a hand injury over the weekend and was held out of Monday’s matinee affair over Boston — a 3-2 decision won by backup Jonas Gustavsson.
As for the severity of Howard’s injury, here’s Dr. Mike Babcock with the explanation.
“He’s got some blood in the hand and they’re trying to keep (the swelling) down, but maybe it’s swollen too much now, so I don’t know what’s going to happen tomorrow.
“We’ll monitor the situation.”
Assuming team physicians are able to solve the case of hand blood, Howard could return to the lineup as early as Thursday, when the Wings take on the Avs in Colorado.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 26
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 26
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 20
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 32
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)