Oct 15, 2013, 12:13 PM EDT
Howard, 29, suffered a hand injury over the weekend and was held out of Monday’s matinee affair over Boston — a 3-2 decision won by backup Jonas Gustavsson.
As for the severity of Howard’s injury, here’s Dr. Mike Babcock with the explanation.
“He’s got some blood in the hand and they’re trying to keep (the swelling) down, but maybe it’s swollen too much now, so I don’t know what’s going to happen tomorrow.
“We’ll monitor the situation.”
Assuming team physicians are able to solve the case of hand blood, Howard could return to the lineup as early as Thursday, when the Wings take on the Avs in Colorado.
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 6
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 35
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 16
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 52
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 36
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother (Updated) 31
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 30
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 54