Oct 15, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT
On Tuesday, NBC Sports Network will continue its look into the NHL’s fiercest feuds.
“NHL Rivals” — a program delving into the storied history between many of NBCSN’s Wednesday Night Rivalry matchups — will go to air again on Tuesday night at 11 p.m. ET with a look at the Washington Capitals-New York Rangers rivalry:
The show will dovetail into tomorrow night’s Caps-Rangers game, renewing a healthy dislike between the two squads. Wednesday will mark the first meeting between the two since they squared off in the opening round of last year’s playoffs.
The home team won the first six games of the series, before Henrik Lundqvist and the Rangers shut out the Capitals 5-0 in Game 7 to advance.
Wednesday night’s matchup marks the first of four meetings between the Metropolitan Division foes.
Some excerpts from the Rivals program:
Rangers captain Ryan Callahan on recent playoff battles against Capitals: “When you play a team that many times in the playoffs, the animosity builds up.”
Former Capitals forward Matt Hendricks on 5-0 loss to Rangers in Game 7 of playoff series last year: “It was really tough. It’s just tough to look at the New York Rangers and know they beat us when I felt we had the upper hand.”
Hendricks on Rangers goaltender Henrik Lundqvist in 2013 Caps-Rangers playoff series: “Lundqvist stood on his head. He was the difference-maker, and he won that series for them.”
“NHL Rivals” will air each Tuesday with a subsequent showing the following Wednesday.
Future rivalries to be examined in the series include Chicago-Detroit, Boston-Montreal and Philadelphia-Pittsburgh.
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 2
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 6
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 15
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 24
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 22
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Lucic issues statement on father’s passing 10
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)
- Preds, Forsberg finally solve Darling, push series to Game 6 (76)