Oct 15, 2013, 1:30 PM EST
On Tuesday, NBC Sports Network will continue its look into the NHL’s fiercest feuds.
“NHL Rivals” — a program delving into the storied history between many of NBCSN’s Wednesday Night Rivalry matchups — will go to air again on Tuesday night at 11 p.m. ET with a look at the Washington Capitals-New York Rangers rivalry:
The show will dovetail into tomorrow night’s Caps-Rangers game, renewing a healthy dislike between the two squads. Wednesday will mark the first meeting between the two since they squared off in the opening round of last year’s playoffs.
The home team won the first six games of the series, before Henrik Lundqvist and the Rangers shut out the Capitals 5-0 in Game 7 to advance.
Wednesday night’s matchup marks the first of four meetings between the Metropolitan Division foes.
Some excerpts from the Rivals program:
Rangers captain Ryan Callahan on recent playoff battles against Capitals: “When you play a team that many times in the playoffs, the animosity builds up.”
Former Capitals forward Matt Hendricks on 5-0 loss to Rangers in Game 7 of playoff series last year: “It was really tough. It’s just tough to look at the New York Rangers and know they beat us when I felt we had the upper hand.”
Hendricks on Rangers goaltender Henrik Lundqvist in 2013 Caps-Rangers playoff series: “Lundqvist stood on his head. He was the difference-maker, and he won that series for them.”
“NHL Rivals” will air each Tuesday with a subsequent showing the following Wednesday.
Future rivalries to be examined in the series include Chicago-Detroit, Boston-Montreal and Philadelphia-Pittsburgh.
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 3
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 33
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 63
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 31
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)