Oct 15, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT
On Tuesday, NBC Sports Network will continue its look into the NHL’s fiercest feuds.
“NHL Rivals” — a program delving into the storied history between many of NBCSN’s Wednesday Night Rivalry matchups — will go to air again on Tuesday night at 11 p.m. ET with a look at the Washington Capitals-New York Rangers rivalry:
The show will dovetail into tomorrow night’s Caps-Rangers game, renewing a healthy dislike between the two squads. Wednesday will mark the first meeting between the two since they squared off in the opening round of last year’s playoffs.
The home team won the first six games of the series, before Henrik Lundqvist and the Rangers shut out the Capitals 5-0 in Game 7 to advance.
Wednesday night’s matchup marks the first of four meetings between the Metropolitan Division foes.
Some excerpts from the Rivals program:
Rangers captain Ryan Callahan on recent playoff battles against Capitals: “When you play a team that many times in the playoffs, the animosity builds up.”
Former Capitals forward Matt Hendricks on 5-0 loss to Rangers in Game 7 of playoff series last year: “It was really tough. It’s just tough to look at the New York Rangers and know they beat us when I felt we had the upper hand.”
Hendricks on Rangers goaltender Henrik Lundqvist in 2013 Caps-Rangers playoff series: “Lundqvist stood on his head. He was the difference-maker, and he won that series for them.”
“NHL Rivals” will air each Tuesday with a subsequent showing the following Wednesday.
Future rivalries to be examined in the series include Chicago-Detroit, Boston-Montreal and Philadelphia-Pittsburgh.
- Once again, Carlyle’s Leafs are searching for answers 3
- Video: Sens, Leafs, Habs combine for beautiful tribute following Ottawa shootings 4
- Sleepy Sharks hit new low in loss to Buffalo 11
- Goalie nods: Gustavsson gets his second start 0
- Price downplays start as Canadiens host Rangers 8
- Sens, Habs and Leafs pay tribute to fallen soldier 3
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 34
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 4
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 28
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 26
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (83)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? (37)
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case (36)