Oct 15, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT
On Tuesday, NBC Sports Network will continue its look into the NHL’s fiercest feuds.
“NHL Rivals” — a program delving into the storied history between many of NBCSN’s Wednesday Night Rivalry matchups — will go to air again on Tuesday night at 11 p.m. ET with a look at the Washington Capitals-New York Rangers rivalry:
The show will dovetail into tomorrow night’s Caps-Rangers game, renewing a healthy dislike between the two squads. Wednesday will mark the first meeting between the two since they squared off in the opening round of last year’s playoffs.
The home team won the first six games of the series, before Henrik Lundqvist and the Rangers shut out the Capitals 5-0 in Game 7 to advance.
Wednesday night’s matchup marks the first of four meetings between the Metropolitan Division foes.
Some excerpts from the Rivals program:
Rangers captain Ryan Callahan on recent playoff battles against Capitals: “When you play a team that many times in the playoffs, the animosity builds up.”
Former Capitals forward Matt Hendricks on 5-0 loss to Rangers in Game 7 of playoff series last year: “It was really tough. It’s just tough to look at the New York Rangers and know they beat us when I felt we had the upper hand.”
Hendricks on Rangers goaltender Henrik Lundqvist in 2013 Caps-Rangers playoff series: “Lundqvist stood on his head. He was the difference-maker, and he won that series for them.”
“NHL Rivals” will air each Tuesday with a subsequent showing the following Wednesday.
Future rivalries to be examined in the series include Chicago-Detroit, Boston-Montreal and Philadelphia-Pittsburgh.
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 11
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 10
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 16
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 39
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)