Oct 15, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT
On Tuesday, NBC Sports Network will continue its look into the NHL’s fiercest feuds.
“NHL Rivals” — a program delving into the storied history between many of NBCSN’s Wednesday Night Rivalry matchups — will go to air again on Tuesday night at 11 p.m. ET with a look at the Washington Capitals-New York Rangers rivalry:
The show will dovetail into tomorrow night’s Caps-Rangers game, renewing a healthy dislike between the two squads. Wednesday will mark the first meeting between the two since they squared off in the opening round of last year’s playoffs.
The home team won the first six games of the series, before Henrik Lundqvist and the Rangers shut out the Capitals 5-0 in Game 7 to advance.
Wednesday night’s matchup marks the first of four meetings between the Metropolitan Division foes.
Some excerpts from the Rivals program:
Rangers captain Ryan Callahan on recent playoff battles against Capitals: “When you play a team that many times in the playoffs, the animosity builds up.”
Former Capitals forward Matt Hendricks on 5-0 loss to Rangers in Game 7 of playoff series last year: “It was really tough. It’s just tough to look at the New York Rangers and know they beat us when I felt we had the upper hand.”
Hendricks on Rangers goaltender Henrik Lundqvist in 2013 Caps-Rangers playoff series: “Lundqvist stood on his head. He was the difference-maker, and he won that series for them.”
“NHL Rivals” will air each Tuesday with a subsequent showing the following Wednesday.
Future rivalries to be examined in the series include Chicago-Detroit, Boston-Montreal and Philadelphia-Pittsburgh.
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 9
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 26
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 19
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 40