Oct 15, 2013, 10:03 AM EDT
Soon we will find out if Rangers goaltender Martin Biron has been claimed on waivers or cleared. If its the latter as expected, then he will be sent to the minors as the Rangers have already named Henrik Lundqvist‘s new understudy.
Goaltender Cam Talbot and forward J.T. Miller have been summoned from AHL Hartford, according to the Bergen Record’s Andrew Gross.
Johan Hedberg, 40, was believed to be another contender to replace Biron as the team’s backup after the two veterans competed for the job during training camp. However, their decision to go with Talbot doesn’t come as a surprise.
The 26-year-old netminder has no NHL experience, but did finish the 2012-13 campaign with a 2.63 GAA and .918 save percentage in 55 AHL games. Talbot has put up similar numbers in the minors in three games this season.
The Rangers are off to a rough start and Biron certainly wasn’t alone in his struggles. Even goaltender Henrik Lundqvist has a 4.21 GAA and .887 save percentage as the Rangers try to work through some defensive issues.
New York will try to end its three-game losing streak on Wednesday against the Washington Capitals.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 45
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 8
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)