Oct 15, 2013, 10:03 AM EDT
Soon we will find out if Rangers goaltender Martin Biron has been claimed on waivers or cleared. If its the latter as expected, then he will be sent to the minors as the Rangers have already named Henrik Lundqvist‘s new understudy.
Goaltender Cam Talbot and forward J.T. Miller have been summoned from AHL Hartford, according to the Bergen Record’s Andrew Gross.
Johan Hedberg, 40, was believed to be another contender to replace Biron as the team’s backup after the two veterans competed for the job during training camp. However, their decision to go with Talbot doesn’t come as a surprise.
The 26-year-old netminder has no NHL experience, but did finish the 2012-13 campaign with a 2.63 GAA and .918 save percentage in 55 AHL games. Talbot has put up similar numbers in the minors in three games this season.
The Rangers are off to a rough start and Biron certainly wasn’t alone in his struggles. Even goaltender Henrik Lundqvist has a 4.21 GAA and .887 save percentage as the Rangers try to work through some defensive issues.
New York will try to end its three-game losing streak on Wednesday against the Washington Capitals.
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 8
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 46
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 14
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 44
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 12
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 21
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 24
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 39