Oct 15, 2013, 10:03 AM EDT
Soon we will find out if Rangers goaltender Martin Biron has been claimed on waivers or cleared. If its the latter as expected, then he will be sent to the minors as the Rangers have already named Henrik Lundqvist‘s new understudy.
Goaltender Cam Talbot and forward J.T. Miller have been summoned from AHL Hartford, according to the Bergen Record’s Andrew Gross.
Johan Hedberg, 40, was believed to be another contender to replace Biron as the team’s backup after the two veterans competed for the job during training camp. However, their decision to go with Talbot doesn’t come as a surprise.
The 26-year-old netminder has no NHL experience, but did finish the 2012-13 campaign with a 2.63 GAA and .918 save percentage in 55 AHL games. Talbot has put up similar numbers in the minors in three games this season.
The Rangers are off to a rough start and Biron certainly wasn’t alone in his struggles. Even goaltender Henrik Lundqvist has a 4.21 GAA and .887 save percentage as the Rangers try to work through some defensive issues.
New York will try to end its three-game losing streak on Wednesday against the Washington Capitals.
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 14
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 12
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 28
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 43
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 12
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 63
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 34
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (43)
- New Caps regime plans to keep Ovechkin at RW (for now) (42)
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal (39)