Oct 15, 2013, 10:03 AM EDT
Soon we will find out if Rangers goaltender Martin Biron has been claimed on waivers or cleared. If its the latter as expected, then he will be sent to the minors as the Rangers have already named Henrik Lundqvist‘s new understudy.
Goaltender Cam Talbot and forward J.T. Miller have been summoned from AHL Hartford, according to the Bergen Record’s Andrew Gross.
Johan Hedberg, 40, was believed to be another contender to replace Biron as the team’s backup after the two veterans competed for the job during training camp. However, their decision to go with Talbot doesn’t come as a surprise.
The 26-year-old netminder has no NHL experience, but did finish the 2012-13 campaign with a 2.63 GAA and .918 save percentage in 55 AHL games. Talbot has put up similar numbers in the minors in three games this season.
The Rangers are off to a rough start and Biron certainly wasn’t alone in his struggles. Even goaltender Henrik Lundqvist has a 4.21 GAA and .887 save percentage as the Rangers try to work through some defensive issues.
New York will try to end its three-game losing streak on Wednesday against the Washington Capitals.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5