Oct 15, 2013, 2:46 PM EST
One thing to watch for during tonight’s Flyers game?
Actually, let’s put that into capital letters, just to get the point across.
“It’s stuff we can control ourselves. It’s not like they’re roughs, coincidentals. They’re stick infractions like hooks, high sticks. We can be in control of our sticks. We have to be. You can’t be in the penalty box half the game and expect to win.”
The Flyers have been shorthanded an NHL-high 33 times this season. Along the way, they’ve surrendered seven power-play goals, including three on Saturday to the Red Wings.
The Detroit game caused new head coach Craig Berube to make a proclamation of sorts.
“We have to stop taking penalties,” Berube said. “It’s been an issue in this organization for too long. It’s got to get better.”
Worth noting: the Flyers’ opponent tonight, Vancouver, has enjoyed just seven power plays in its last four games. So if there’s a team to stop taking penalties against, it may be the Canucks.
“They’ve always had a problem there. I thought they had Reno [Zac Rinaldo] on a short leash, but I guess he is off the leash right now. I feel like that has always been a problem in Philly.
“I don’t know if it’s their reputation or not. But we had a problem when I was there because we were always going on the penalty kill. Which is tough for everybody. Your bottom guys aren’t getting any minutes because it’s all penalty kill and power play.
“You’re not going to win many games when you are always on the penalty kill, even if you have a great penalty kill. It wears guys out.”
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 20
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 44
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)