Oct 15, 2013, 2:46 PM EDT
One thing to watch for during tonight’s Flyers game?
Actually, let’s put that into capital letters, just to get the point across.
“It’s stuff we can control ourselves. It’s not like they’re roughs, coincidentals. They’re stick infractions like hooks, high sticks. We can be in control of our sticks. We have to be. You can’t be in the penalty box half the game and expect to win.”
The Flyers have been shorthanded an NHL-high 33 times this season. Along the way, they’ve surrendered seven power-play goals, including three on Saturday to the Red Wings.
The Detroit game caused new head coach Craig Berube to make a proclamation of sorts.
“We have to stop taking penalties,” Berube said. “It’s been an issue in this organization for too long. It’s got to get better.”
Worth noting: the Flyers’ opponent tonight, Vancouver, has enjoyed just seven power plays in its last four games. So if there’s a team to stop taking penalties against, it may be the Canucks.
“They’ve always had a problem there. I thought they had Reno [Zac Rinaldo] on a short leash, but I guess he is off the leash right now. I feel like that has always been a problem in Philly.
“I don’t know if it’s their reputation or not. But we had a problem when I was there because we were always going on the penalty kill. Which is tough for everybody. Your bottom guys aren’t getting any minutes because it’s all penalty kill and power play.
“You’re not going to win many games when you are always on the penalty kill, even if you have a great penalty kill. It wears guys out.”
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers aim to solve Hawks’ Crawford 3
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 13
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 34
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)