Oct 15, 2013, 10:49 PM EDT
During Tuesday’s game against the St. Louis Blues, San Jose Sharks head coach Todd McLellan told CSNBayArea.com’s Brodie Brazil that they wanted to “finish the game” for their injured defenseman. They did just that, too, winning 6-2.
San Jose remains undefeated and has generated a whopping 30 goals in six games, giving St. Louis its first loss of 2013-14.
Losing Boyle for what could be a substantial amount of time would certainly hurt, but the Sharks made the Blues pay. They scored two power-play goals in the first period following the many bursts of violence and never turned back.
The Blues scored two goals in the third period, but were down 5-2 by then and Patrick Marleau dug the knife in a little deeper with a 6-2 power-play goal.
In a way, that violent moment seemed to overshadow a battle between two early Western Conference heavyweights, yet one could also argue that the Sharks made a statement by keeping their cool enough to dominate the Blues in their own building on national television.
The Sharks and Blues will meet in two more regular season games: Nov. 29 in San Jose and Dec. 17 in St. Louis.
Oct 23, 2014, 1:39 PM EDT
So says his coach. (And rightly so.)
Oct 23, 2014, 1:39 PM EDT
They’re first and second in the Central Division, and neither has lost in regulation yet.
Oct 23, 2014, 12:35 PM EDT
Postponed in the wake of the Ottawa shootings.
Oct 23, 2014, 12:31 PM EDT
It’s a special teams extravaganza!
Oct 23, 2014, 12:17 PM EDT
Says he was never asked to increase ice time of youngsters returning from injury.
Oct 23, 2014, 12:04 PM EDT
“He’s playing great.”
Oct 23, 2014, 11:50 AM EDT
A court date has been set for Dec. 1.
Oct 23, 2014, 11:38 AM EDT
Probably a figurative slap.
Oct 23, 2014, 10:09 AM EDT
The Islanders defenseman spent six seasons with the Bruins
Oct 23, 2014, 9:32 AM EDT
He’s in the American Hockey League to start 2014-15.
Oct 23, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Looks better than one might expect.
Oct 23, 2014, 2:13 AM EDT
Meanwhile, Buffalo scored!
Oct 23, 2014, 1:19 AM EDT
Pretty good chance for three straight.
Oct 23, 2014, 12:23 AM EDT
He was injured on Oct. 16.
Oct 22, 2014, 11:49 PM EDT
No. 8 was having a bit of a difficult night.
Oct 22, 2014, 11:25 PM EDT
Oct 22, 2014, 11:08 PM EDT
Big win for Philly after getting beat bad in Chicago on Tuesday.
Oct 22, 2014, 10:19 PM EDT
Last shift came in the first period.
Oct 22, 2014, 10:13 PM EDT
Oct 22, 2014, 9:48 PM EDT
Little bit of history here.
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 7
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 55
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Wild, Coyle agree on five-year contract extension 16
- The Flyers ‘have Mason’s back’ 9
- Postponed: NHL to reschedule Sens-Leafs in wake of Ottawa shootings 35
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 23
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 34
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (56)