Oct 15, 2013, 7:30 PM EDT
The NHL brought the hammer down on Patrick Kaleta with a 10-game suspension, but the question is: will it stick? Onlookers such as Puck Daddy’s Greg Wyshynski and Sportsnet’s John Shannon believe that Kaleta might appeal that lengthy ban.
Wyshynski lays out the argument Kaleta, 27, might make:
Get the sense it’s expected Kaleta will appeal. Interesting case: No penalty, no injury. It’s priors and reputation that earned 10 games.
— Greg Wyshynski (@wyshynski) October 15, 2013
Here’s Brendan Shanahan’s video explanation for the suspension:
If Kaleta goes the appeal route, he wouldn’t be the first notorious hitter to do so, as Raffi Torres made waves with his before. The new CBA dictates that the appeal could go all the way to an independent arbitrator, something Shannon points out as possibility.
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 0
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 19
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)