Oct 15, 2013, 7:30 PM EST
The NHL brought the hammer down on Patrick Kaleta with a 10-game suspension, but the question is: will it stick? Onlookers such as Puck Daddy’s Greg Wyshynski and Sportsnet’s John Shannon believe that Kaleta might appeal that lengthy ban.
Wyshynski lays out the argument Kaleta, 27, might make:
Get the sense it’s expected Kaleta will appeal. Interesting case: No penalty, no injury. It’s priors and reputation that earned 10 games.
— Greg Wyshynski (@wyshynski) October 15, 2013
Here’s Brendan Shanahan’s video explanation for the suspension:
If Kaleta goes the appeal route, he wouldn’t be the first notorious hitter to do so, as Raffi Torres made waves with his before. The new CBA dictates that the appeal could go all the way to an independent arbitrator, something Shannon points out as possibility.
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)