Oct 15, 2013, 7:30 PM EDT
The NHL brought the hammer down on Patrick Kaleta with a 10-game suspension, but the question is: will it stick? Onlookers such as Puck Daddy’s Greg Wyshynski and Sportsnet’s John Shannon believe that Kaleta might appeal that lengthy ban.
Wyshynski lays out the argument Kaleta, 27, might make:
Get the sense it’s expected Kaleta will appeal. Interesting case: No penalty, no injury. It’s priors and reputation that earned 10 games.
— Greg Wyshynski (@wyshynski) October 15, 2013
Here’s Brendan Shanahan’s video explanation for the suspension:
If Kaleta goes the appeal route, he wouldn’t be the first notorious hitter to do so, as Raffi Torres made waves with his before. The new CBA dictates that the appeal could go all the way to an independent arbitrator, something Shannon points out as possibility.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 24
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 73
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 48
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 13
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (73)