Oct 15, 2013, 7:30 PM EDT
The NHL brought the hammer down on Patrick Kaleta with a 10-game suspension, but the question is: will it stick? Onlookers such as Puck Daddy’s Greg Wyshynski and Sportsnet’s John Shannon believe that Kaleta might appeal that lengthy ban.
Wyshynski lays out the argument Kaleta, 27, might make:
Get the sense it’s expected Kaleta will appeal. Interesting case: No penalty, no injury. It’s priors and reputation that earned 10 games.
— Greg Wyshynski (@wyshynski) October 15, 2013
Here’s Brendan Shanahan’s video explanation for the suspension:
If Kaleta goes the appeal route, he wouldn’t be the first notorious hitter to do so, as Raffi Torres made waves with his before. The new CBA dictates that the appeal could go all the way to an independent arbitrator, something Shannon points out as possibility.
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 0
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 12
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 14
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 10
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 11
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 32
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 31
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 66
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)