Oct 15, 2013, 12:20 PM EDT
James Reimer will be back in goal for the Toronto Maple Leafs tonight when they host Minnesota. It will be his first start since getting pulled 10 days ago versus the Sens.
Meanwhile, Jonathan Bernier will be the back-up after his toughest start of the season on Saturday, a 6-5 OT win over the Oilers in which he surrendered five goals on 31 shots. (Even with that outing, his save percentage remains impressively high, at .946.)
For Reimer (4.63 GAA, .879 SV%), tonight will be an opportunity to find a groove after a long time on the bench. Per TSN’s Mark Masters, head coach Randy Carlyle didn’t want Reimer to get “stale” sitting and watching Bernier.
The Leafs have ridden hot goaltending and excellent special teams to a 5-1-0 record. Their next game after tonight’s is Thursday at home to Carolina.
Reimer on his last start (pulled – 4 goals on 21 shots): 'Ah, well that’s a long time ago. I try to forget about that one by now.'—
Mark Masters (@markhmasters) October 15, 2013
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)