Oct 15, 2013, 9:56 PM EDT
Reimer was absolute magnificent for the Maple Leafs on Tuesday, especially compared to Minnesota Wild netminder Darcy Kuemper. The Wild generated a whopping 37-14 shot disparity, yet they were only able to beat Reimer once, as the Leafs won 4-1.
Jason Pominville was the lone goal-scorer for Minnesota in the first period of tonight’s game, even though the Wild dominated that frame the most with a ridiculous 17-3 shot advantage. Worse yet … the Leafs scored on two of those three shots.
Josh Harding had been playing well in Niklas Backstrom‘s injury-driven absence; when you combine that with Kuemper’s disastrous night, many will question frequently-doubted head coach Mike Yeo. Still, it’s important to note that Harding played on Monday and that the Wild might have his serious health challenges in mind.
Regardless, the Leafs remain a captivating team to follow, as they continue to defy the odds – and stat nerds – by winning games by some combination of luck, quality scoring chances and lights-out goaltending.
Can the Reimer – Bernier battle sustain them to another playoff run? With an NHL-leading 12 points in seven games, the Buds certainly have a great head start.
Head coach Randy Carlyle isn’t complaining this time around, as Sportsnet’s Chris Johnston reports.
“Not every win is going to be a work of art,” Carlyle said.
It was a masterpiece for Reimer’s fans, though.
- Five big games to watch this weekend 1
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 28
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 28
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 34
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 14
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 51
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 16
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (51)