Oct 15, 2013, 10:37 AM EDT
Pittsburgh added some grit to its lineup on Tuesday by recalling forward Harry Zolnierczyk from AHL Wilkes-Barre/Scranton.
The Pens are hurting up front with wingers Beau Bennett and James Neal out with unspecified injuries. Bennett, 20, was skating in place of Neal, who has been out since hurting himself in the first game of the season and is now on injured reserve.
Zolnierczyk, 26, has shown a surprising offensive flair for WBS thus far, scoring three goals in three games. He split last season between the Ducks and Flyers, appearing in seven games with Philly and none with Anaheim — he was shipped immediately to the Ducks’ AHL affiliate in Norfolk, and played out the season there.
The former Brown University standout make his mark on the league last year with some reckless hits. He was tossed from a game against Washington for kneeing Caps forward Mathieu Perreault, then suspended four games for charging Ottawa’s Mike Lundin.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 42
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)