Oct 15, 2013, 6:59 PM EDT
As the video shows, Brendan Shanahan claims that Kaleta took “an improper angle” and that his shoulder made direct contact with Johnson’s chin.
Shanahan said that such a check would receive supplemental discipline regardless of who was delivering it, but Kaleta’s lengthy history as a repeat offender (he’s been fined and/or suspended six times in the last four years) explains some of the severity of the punishment. This comes despite Johnson, 26, suffering “no injury” from the hit.
Kaleta has already served two games of the suspension. The 27-year-old is eligible to return during a Nov. 2 home game against the Anaheim Ducks. He’ll lose out on $152,439 in game checks.
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 0
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 16
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 8
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 8
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 31
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 23
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)