Oct 15, 2013, 6:59 PM EDT
As the video shows, Brendan Shanahan claims that Kaleta took “an improper angle” and that his shoulder made direct contact with Johnson’s chin.
Shanahan said that such a check would receive supplemental discipline regardless of who was delivering it, but Kaleta’s lengthy history as a repeat offender (he’s been fined and/or suspended six times in the last four years) explains some of the severity of the punishment. This comes despite Johnson, 26, suffering “no injury” from the hit.
Kaleta has already served two games of the suspension. The 27-year-old is eligible to return during a Nov. 2 home game against the Anaheim Ducks. He’ll lose out on $152,439 in game checks.
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 8
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 25
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 5
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 41
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 35
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6