Oct 15, 2013, 6:59 PM EST
As the video shows, Brendan Shanahan claims that Kaleta took “an improper angle” and that his shoulder made direct contact with Johnson’s chin.
Shanahan said that such a check would receive supplemental discipline regardless of who was delivering it, but Kaleta’s lengthy history as a repeat offender (he’s been fined and/or suspended six times in the last four years) explains some of the severity of the punishment. This comes despite Johnson, 26, suffering “no injury” from the hit.
Kaleta has already served two games of the suspension. The 27-year-old is eligible to return during a Nov. 2 home game against the Anaheim Ducks. He’ll lose out on $152,439 in game checks.
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 21
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 18
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 22
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 32
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 63
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 31
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 35
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 58