Oct 15, 2013, 6:59 PM EST
As the video shows, Brendan Shanahan claims that Kaleta took “an improper angle” and that his shoulder made direct contact with Johnson’s chin.
Shanahan said that such a check would receive supplemental discipline regardless of who was delivering it, but Kaleta’s lengthy history as a repeat offender (he’s been fined and/or suspended six times in the last four years) explains some of the severity of the punishment. This comes despite Johnson, 26, suffering “no injury” from the hit.
Kaleta has already served two games of the suspension. The 27-year-old is eligible to return during a Nov. 2 home game against the Anaheim Ducks. He’ll lose out on $152,439 in game checks.
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 0
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 22
- Roberto Luongo records the shutout in first game back with Panthers 27
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack 63
- Canucks’ Kassian gets three games for boarding Dillon 27
- TGIF: Why Lightning fans can be upset with St. Louis 32
- Goalie nods: Luongo’s first game back with Panthers, Neuvirth makes Sabres debut 14
- Report: Kuznetsov terminated KHL deal, headed to Washington 21
- Canucks’ Bieksa: ‘If this isn’t rock bottom, I don’t know what is’ 34
- Luongo has Twitter fun at Canucks’ expense 36
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Sabres announce Pat LaFontaine resigns as president of hockey operations (66)