Oct 15, 2013, 5:59 PM EST
The Toronto Maple Leafs are kicking the tires on veteran NHLer Jerred Smithson by signing him to a tryout with the AHL Marlies, according to Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos.
Smithson, 34, is a veteran of nearly 600 NHL contests and split last season between Florida and Edmonton. He was actually Edmonton’s trade deadline acquisition last year, coming aboard for the final 10 games of the campaign as the Oilers tried to make a playoff push.
Technically, Smithson’s been a deadline pickup two years in a row — in 2011-12, Florida acquired him from Nashville for its playoff push, and he proceeded to appear in five of the Panthers’ seven postseason games that spring.
He’s a good defensive forward and something of a faceoff specialist. Toronto is relatively thin in terms of center depth, so it’s possible he could get a look in the Leafs’ bottom six at some point this year.
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 45
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 72
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 20
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Lovejoy returns to Pittsburgh for Despres 52
- Wild get Stewart as Buffalo-to-Minnesota pipeline continues 55
- Jordan Leopold’s daughter may have orchestrated the Minnesota trade 17
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils 74
- Can the Wings and Leafs work out a deal for Phaneuf? 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (72)