Oct 15, 2013, 5:59 PM EDT
The Toronto Maple Leafs are kicking the tires on veteran NHLer Jerred Smithson by signing him to a tryout with the AHL Marlies, according to Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos.
Smithson, 34, is a veteran of nearly 600 NHL contests and split last season between Florida and Edmonton. He was actually Edmonton’s trade deadline acquisition last year, coming aboard for the final 10 games of the campaign as the Oilers tried to make a playoff push.
Technically, Smithson’s been a deadline pickup two years in a row — in 2011-12, Florida acquired him from Nashville for its playoff push, and he proceeded to appear in five of the Panthers’ seven postseason games that spring.
He’s a good defensive forward and something of a faceoff specialist. Toronto is relatively thin in terms of center depth, so it’s possible he could get a look in the Leafs’ bottom six at some point this year.
- Report: Hamilton to sign six-year deal with Flames 0
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 25
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 12
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 3
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 31
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 4
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 39
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 104
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 88
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (104)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (88)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)