Oct 15, 2013, 5:10 PM EST
Cody Hodgson wants to make something clear — his dad wasn’t constantly calling up the Canucks to complain about things like his son’s ice time prior to the trade that sent the young center from Vancouver to Buffalo at the 2012 deadline.
“I’ve been hearing all this stuff about my dad being involved with the team and making calls to the team and I wanted to tell everyone that my dad had nothing to do with it,” said Hodgson, per The Province. “This isn’t Pee Wee hockey where the dad can call up the coach and interfere with what’s going on. This is professional hockey and that sort of thing doesn’t happen. He never called the team. You just can’t do that. That’s been bothering me for a long time and I want to clear that up. I’m not sure where all of that got started, but my agent (Ritch Winter) handled the stuff with the team.”
The Hodgson trade is still a sore point for many Vancouver hockey fans, as Zack Kassian — the main asset the Canucks got in return from the Sabres — has only shown flashes of potential as a power forward since the deal. Not to mention, the third-line center spot remains a significant question mark. And certainly the team could use another play-maker up front given Ryan Kesler‘s offensive struggles.
At any rate, we have to believe Canucks fans will remain skeptical about Hodgson’s dad’s role in both the trade and the preceding breakdown in relationship between club and player. Even if his dad wasn’t the one calling up the team, was he directing Winter to call about anything?
“Some day I’ll talk about my time in Vancouver, but not right now,” said Hodgson.
The Sharks are weird. I was under the impression there was only room for two talented centers and if you had a third he had to go to Buffalo—
Jason Brough (@JasonPHT) October 09, 2013
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 0
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 20
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 40
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)