Oct 15, 2013, 5:10 PM EDT
Cody Hodgson wants to make something clear — his dad wasn’t constantly calling up the Canucks to complain about things like his son’s ice time prior to the trade that sent the young center from Vancouver to Buffalo at the 2012 deadline.
“I’ve been hearing all this stuff about my dad being involved with the team and making calls to the team and I wanted to tell everyone that my dad had nothing to do with it,” said Hodgson, per The Province. “This isn’t Pee Wee hockey where the dad can call up the coach and interfere with what’s going on. This is professional hockey and that sort of thing doesn’t happen. He never called the team. You just can’t do that. That’s been bothering me for a long time and I want to clear that up. I’m not sure where all of that got started, but my agent (Ritch Winter) handled the stuff with the team.”
The Hodgson trade is still a sore point for many Vancouver hockey fans, as Zack Kassian — the main asset the Canucks got in return from the Sabres — has only shown flashes of potential as a power forward since the deal. Not to mention, the third-line center spot remains a significant question mark. And certainly the team could use another play-maker up front given Ryan Kesler‘s offensive struggles.
At any rate, we have to believe Canucks fans will remain skeptical about Hodgson’s dad’s role in both the trade and the preceding breakdown in relationship between club and player. Even if his dad wasn’t the one calling up the team, was he directing Winter to call about anything?
“Some day I’ll talk about my time in Vancouver, but not right now,” said Hodgson.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 16
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 69
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)