Oct 15, 2013, 11:36 AM EDT
According to Briere, he knows what message is being sent.
“Michel [Therrien, head coach] has said it from the start that this is the way it’s going to go,” Briere told the Montreal Gazette. “There are some guys who have stepped up early and they deserve the ice time. In my case, I’ve always been something of a slow starter.
“Right now, I’m getting caught on the outside and it’s up to me to get back in.”
Briere, 36, has just one assist through five games while averaging nearly 16 minutes per night.
What’s curious is that despite his claims, Briere hasn’t historically been a slow starter. Consider this tweet from NHL.com’s Arpon Basu as evidence:
#Habs Brière’s starts: 09-10: 5 G 2 A first 8 GP 10-11: 6 G 2 A 9 GP 11-12: 4 G 6 A 10 GP 12-13: 2 G 2 A 11 GP Not so bad until last season
— Arpon Basu (@ArponBasu) October 14, 2013
The way Therrien sees it, the decision to demote isn’t so much about Briere as it is the players around him. Montreal has a number of forwards playing well at the moment — Lars Eller, Alex Galchenyuk and Brendan Gallagher are all at least point-per-game guys thus far — and the reward of playing well is added ice time.
Vice versa for those not playing well.
“We have a lot of depth with our forwards, especially with our wingers,” Therrien explained. “We have to take some decisions and we made a decision to put Daniel on the fourth line.”
In related news, the Habs will get captain Brian Gionta back tonight vs. the Jets after he missed Saturday’s 4-1 win in Vancouver dealing with a personal matter.
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 9
- Rangers hang on, even series with Caps 55
- Video: Ovechkin splits ‘D’, scores while falling 31
- Flames’ Gaudreau wasn’t happy with benching in Game 1 2
- Video: Blackhawks hold off Wild to take series lead 23
- Video: Therrien fuming after Bolts appear offside before OT winner 46
- Video: Lightning bolt to series lead on Kucherov’s double OT winner 14
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 8
- Report: BOG to vote on Vegas expansion in September 1
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits 102
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (102)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappointment as Wild advance (99)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb (81)