Oct 15, 2013, 6:38 PM EST
Chris Pronger‘s unofficial retirement ranks pretty high among hockey’s worst-kept secrets, yet in all likelihood, the Philadelphia Flyers kept it that way for cap reasons. GM Paul Holmgren finally admitted the obvious to the Hockey News on Monday, though.
“I’ll say it, Chris is never going to play again,” Holmgren said. “I have no problems saying it.”
Of course, that brings up a different question: will the NHL have a problem with the Flyers admitting he’s done, yet keeping him on the long-term injured reserve to avoid the 35+ cap penalty that would come with his retirement?
Pronger’s $4.94 million cap hit runs through the 2016-17 season. He’s still in the window in which he’s getting paid a higher salary than that $4.94 million cap hit, as Pronger’s deal came in the middle of that run of loophole contracts:
2013-14: $7 million, $1 million bonus
2014-15: $4 million
He hasn’t played in a game since Nov. 19, 2011 after briefing playing despite a frightening eye injury suffered a month earlier.
Will the NHL make Holmgren regret that statement as much as he probably regrets signing Pronger, 39, to that contract? We’ll see.
(H/T to Philly.com.)
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 0
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 1
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 8
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 13
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 5
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 7
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 2
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 12
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)