Oct 15, 2013, 2:20 PM EDT
1. For every goal the Sharks have allowed five-on-five, they’ve scored four. (The actual ratio is 16 goals scored, four allowed.) Is it sustainable? No, it isn’t. Last season, the best ratio a team had in that category was 1.52 (Chicago). However, it speaks to San Jose’s absolute dominance during its first five games, particularly while even strength.
2. Anaheim has enjoyed 19:10 more in power-play time than PK time. No other team has a positive differential as high as that. If you’re a Ducks fans, you may think this is great news, that it speaks loudly to the team’s disciplined ways. But while there’s some truth to that, there’s another not-so-positive explanation: Anaheim’s PK (ranked 29th) has been awful, and its PP (30th) has been even worse. Translation: Too many PKs ending early, too many PPs going the distance.
3. Colorado is the only team that hasn’t surrendered a power-play goal. In five games, the Avalanche have killed off all 12 minors they’ve taken (24:00 time shorthanded), just one of the reasons they’ve yet to lose. The Avs ranked 20th (80.3%) in penalty killing last season.
4. The Sabres are being outshot by an average of 9.2 shots per game (34.6 to 25.4). Suffice to say, this is no way to win. Even more worrying, Buffalo has twice recently failed to register shots while trailing late in contests. They got just six in last night’s third period versus the Wild while down 2-1, and Thursday they got just eight in the third while losing by three to Columbus. Not that the first period has been any better for Buffalo. In seven games, the Sabres have only scored once in the opening 20 minutes.
5. The Flyers are oh-for-three when they outshoot their opponent, including Saturday’s 5-2 loss to the Wings when Philadelphia outshot Detroit, 34-30. So while there’s plenty to criticize about Philly’s 1-5-0 start, in some ways the team has been unlucky to run into some good goaltending. Four opposition netminders — Jonathan Bernier (Leafs), Carey Price (Habs), Thomas Greiss (Coyotes), and Jimmy Howard (Wings) — have been named stars in Flyers losses so far.
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 0
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 4
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 1
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 8
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 33
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 9
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)