Oct 15, 2013, 8:27 PM EDT
The San Jose Sharks – St. Louis Blues game is already off to a very rough start on Tuesday, as star defenseman Dan Boyle was taken off the ice on a stretcher after a hit from behind by Maxim Lapierre.
Here’s video of the check:
The NBC SN telecast believes that Boyle’s jaw made contact with the boards. At least one observer believes that Boyle, 37, lifted his hand to signal to the Sharks bench that he was conscious.
NBC Bay Area shared this photo of Boyle being taken off the ice on a stretcher:
This all happened moments ago, so it’s too early to know about Boyle’s condition. PHT will update when more information is available.
Lapierre received a game misconduct, and a series of fights resulted from the fray. As you can see, he wasn’t the only player who was reprimanded:
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 14
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 29
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 26
- Different tune: Moore hasn’t settled with Bertuzzi, says brother 25
- Rangers win Kevin Hayes sweepstakes 20
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT 58
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 49
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 9
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 6