Oct 15, 2013, 1:25 PM EDT
Veteran Rangers goalie Martin Biron cleared waivers on Tuesday, but it’s unclear what lies ahead.
Biron, 36, will reportedly take a few days to figure out if he’ll report to AHL Hartford or consider retirement, according to TVA’s Louis Jean.
It’s been an odd past few weeks for the longtime NHLer. Things began strangely at Rangers’ training camp — Biron was absent for the first two days with an unspecified personal issue, forcing the Blueshirts to bring in Johan Hedberg on a PTO.
Upon his return, Biron spoke guardedly about his absence:
“I’m where I need to be. I’m focused and I’m really where I wanted to be this morning.
“I was excited to be here. I was excited to be on the ice and get going with the guys, definitely. I’m not going to go into details, it’s just how life is sometimes and you’ve got to roll with it.
“Again, I was fortunate I was able to get home and now to be back.”
According to ESPN New York, Rangers head coach Alain Vigneault “appear unconvinced” about Biron as the club’s backup right from start of camp. Vigneault’s opinion went unchanged early in the regular season — strengthened, even — after Biron went 0-1-0 in two appearances with a 7.61 GAA and .763 save percentage.
“It’s a performance-based business, and the organization felt Marty’s first two performances were not what we expected, [so] we decided to put him on waivers,” Vigneault said. “We’re gonna get together this afternoon as a group and talk about where we go from there.”
What’s odd is that, statistically speaking, Biron’s been one of the NHL’s best backup goalies over the last two years.
He didn’t play much in 2013, but was solid when called upon, posting a 2-2-1 record with a .917 save percentage and 2.32 GAA.
The year prior he appeared in 21 games, posting a 12-6-2 record with a .904 save percentage and 2.46 GAA.
He was also lauded for a strong working relationship with starter Henrik Lundqvist.
Biron could accept his fate with the Rangers and report to the American League, a place he hasn’t played since a rehab assignment during the 2009-10 campaign. Teammate Arron Asham, who was placed on waivers as well, has already said he’d report to Hartford.
Apr 24, 2014, 9:50 AM EDT
Will Andersen or Hiller start in Game 5?
Apr 24, 2014, 9:01 AM EDT
“I think he likes the big stage.”
Apr 24, 2014, 8:04 AM EDT
Elsewhere, Detroit will play Boston and Colorado will face the Wild.
Apr 24, 2014, 1:59 AM EDT
The Blackhawks gave the Blues a taste of their own medicine.
Apr 24, 2014, 12:52 AM EDT
Another memorable moment for the American star.
Apr 24, 2014, 12:25 AM EDT
The NFL defensive back strategy.
Apr 23, 2014, 11:29 PM EDT
Nice gesture … bad sign?
Apr 23, 2014, 11:04 PM EDT
Nick Foligno called his goal ahead of time.
Apr 23, 2014, 10:50 PM EDT
Just a nightmarish evening for Anaheim.
Apr 23, 2014, 10:39 PM EDT
Is history repeating itself?
Apr 23, 2014, 10:12 PM EDT
Pittsburgh once again can’t hold a team to less than three goals.
Apr 23, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
Many wonder why he played the puck.
Apr 23, 2014, 9:36 PM EDT
He was hurt on Saturday.
Apr 23, 2014, 9:27 PM EDT
We ask, you answer.
Apr 23, 2014, 9:11 PM EDT
He was punished for a knee-on-knee hit to Colorado’s Tyson Barrie.
Apr 23, 2014, 8:37 PM EDT
Chicago is trying to even the series.
Apr 23, 2014, 8:03 PM EDT
But Pittsburgh’s lead is far from secure.
Apr 23, 2014, 7:47 PM EDT
He was second in the regular season scoring race.
Apr 23, 2014, 7:33 PM EDT
San Jose will go for the sweep on Thursday.
Apr 23, 2014, 7:03 PM EDT
Nick Schultz took his place.
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 19
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 18
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 80
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 96
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)