Oct 15, 2013, 1:25 PM EDT
Veteran Rangers goalie Martin Biron cleared waivers on Tuesday, but it’s unclear what lies ahead.
Biron, 36, will reportedly take a few days to figure out if he’ll report to AHL Hartford or consider retirement, according to TVA’s Louis Jean.
It’s been an odd past few weeks for the longtime NHLer. Things began strangely at Rangers’ training camp — Biron was absent for the first two days with an unspecified personal issue, forcing the Blueshirts to bring in Johan Hedberg on a PTO.
Upon his return, Biron spoke guardedly about his absence:
“I’m where I need to be. I’m focused and I’m really where I wanted to be this morning.
“I was excited to be here. I was excited to be on the ice and get going with the guys, definitely. I’m not going to go into details, it’s just how life is sometimes and you’ve got to roll with it.
“Again, I was fortunate I was able to get home and now to be back.”
According to ESPN New York, Rangers head coach Alain Vigneault “appear unconvinced” about Biron as the club’s backup right from start of camp. Vigneault’s opinion went unchanged early in the regular season — strengthened, even — after Biron went 0-1-0 in two appearances with a 7.61 GAA and .763 save percentage.
“It’s a performance-based business, and the organization felt Marty’s first two performances were not what we expected, [so] we decided to put him on waivers,” Vigneault said. “We’re gonna get together this afternoon as a group and talk about where we go from there.”
What’s odd is that, statistically speaking, Biron’s been one of the NHL’s best backup goalies over the last two years.
He didn’t play much in 2013, but was solid when called upon, posting a 2-2-1 record with a .917 save percentage and 2.32 GAA.
The year prior he appeared in 21 games, posting a 12-6-2 record with a .904 save percentage and 2.46 GAA.
He was also lauded for a strong working relationship with starter Henrik Lundqvist.
Biron could accept his fate with the Rangers and report to the American League, a place he hasn’t played since a rehab assignment during the 2009-10 campaign. Teammate Arron Asham, who was placed on waivers as well, has already said he’d report to Hartford.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Jamie McGinn and John Mitchell also rank among the already-wounded.
Sep 18, 2014, 10:08 PM EDT
Peter Chiarelli also (kinda sorta) addressed Johnny Boychuk rumors.
Sep 18, 2014, 10:07 PM EDT
He won’t be paid or count against the cap while he’s injured.
Sep 18, 2014, 9:37 PM EDT
Everyone wins … except Minnesota’s other goalies.
Sep 18, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
Maybe the English version of his book will be kinder?
Sep 18, 2014, 7:50 PM EDT
Sep 18, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
He fits right in with the Flyers.
Sep 18, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Could be a slow road to recovery.
Sep 18, 2014, 4:30 PM EDT
At least the Blue Jackets’ GM is ruling out surgery.
Sep 18, 2014, 3:51 PM EDT
He’ll miss at least months, GM Ron Hextall said.
Sep 18, 2014, 3:16 PM EDT
Hey, he’s got less than eight years to go.
Sep 18, 2014, 2:25 PM EDT
“I don’t think I had a conversation with Torts until Christmas last year.”
Sep 18, 2014, 2:24 PM EDT
“The next time I’ll talk publicly about Jaden is when we sign him.”
Sep 18, 2014, 1:42 PM EDT
Never boring in Toronto.
Sep 18, 2014, 12:36 PM EDT
And it’s probably going to be Ryan McDonagh.
Sep 18, 2014, 12:12 PM EDT
Two key youngsters on a Stars team with high hopes.
Sep 18, 2014, 12:06 PM EDT
Former first-round pick missed extensive time to a torn ACL.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:42 AM EDT
Taken 16th overall in 2007.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:27 AM EDT
Remember him? Taken 3rd overall in 2004… behind Alex Ovechkin and Evgeni Malkin.
Sep 18, 2014, 11:10 AM EDT
Tough blow for a kid looking to make the leap this season.
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)