Oct 15, 2013, 11:45 AM EST
Compared to the attention surprise teams like the Colorado Avalanche and Calgary Flames have received early this season, the Phoenix Coyotes have been relatively ignored. But in case you haven’t noticed (which is kind of the point of this post), the Desert Dogs are off to a pretty decent start themselves.
On Sunday, Phoenix won its third straight, dumping Carolina, 5-3, in Raleigh. With the win, the Coyotes improved to 4-2-0, which is a decent record by itself, and even more impressive considering they’ve only played one home game, their season-opening 4-1 thrashing of the Rangers.
It hasn’t been all roses, of course. Prior to their current winning streak, the Coyotes got smoked 4-1 in San Jose and 6-1 on Long Island.
“The last three games we’ve stabilized,” head coach Dave Tippett said, per azcentral.com. “It seems like players know exactly now what’s expected.”
True to form when the Coyotes are winning games, there isn’t one player that’s doing it all. Nine of them have three points or more; 11 have scored at least one goal.
Phoenix has a good chance to get another W tonight when it returns home to host struggling Ottawa.
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 2
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 15
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 107
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 17
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 32
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 27
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (108)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)