Video: Caps’ Chimera boards Oilers’ Schultz

Oct 14, 2013, 9:06 PM EDT

With Canadian Thanksgiving in mind, much of the hockey world is full-bellied and relaxed (even the Buffalo Sabres’ lights are taking it easy). It’s still another day in the NHL, however, and there’s at least one questionable hit to consider, as Jason Chimera boarded Justin Schultz in the first period of Monday’s Edmonton Oilers-Washington Capitals game.

Here’s video footage from CSNWashington.com:

Schultz, 23, returned to action in the first period, decreasing Chimera’s chances of receiving supplemental discipline (he received a two-minute boarding minor for the hit).

Chimera, 34, was angry that hybrid icing was ratified in part because he’s such a hard hitter and can skate well enough to negate the occasional icing. Some might argue he’s being protected from himself, though.

(Not saying that the hit was illegal or legal, mind you; feel free to debate its merits in the comments.)

1. Lupy Nazty Philthy - Oct 15, 2013 at 12:08 AM

That shouldn’t be a suspension. Was a barely a nudge. Looked more like Schultz lost his footing more than Chimera knocking him into the boards. 2 minutes is good enough.

2. capsfan19 - Oct 15, 2013 at 6:19 AM

Chimmer wanted schultz to know he was there not to have him crash into the boards.

3. lilroot9 - Oct 15, 2013 at 8:07 AM

So I understand he just nudged him, but that should be 10+ games, no need for those kind of hits from behind as they go hard into the boards, Schultz did not even have the puck, never touched it, and actually, the play never even looked his direction. Should have been a 5 minute major and game misconduct.

Do you want to see the best defense man on your team go out for the year (or worse, career) because some one felt they could cross check your back as you skate hard towards the boards, when the puck and play are not even within 8 feet?

NHL needs to get serious, as a paying fan, I want to see great plays and goals at fast speeds, if you don’t protect these players (not really saying Schultz is this player, but could be anyone in the future) the game will be unwatchable. Chiemera does play hard and I actually would want him on my team, but not after this play. I love the Sabres and I am from Buffalo, so naturally I liked Kaleta, but I don’t even like to see him on the ice, I get scared for what dirty play he is going to do.

Please, for us, the fans, suspend this guy for 10+ games, we want to see “clean” action, not this dirty stuff!

• flavadave10 - Oct 15, 2013 at 8:54 AM

If the NHL wants hits like this to stop without turning hockey, they should adopt full no-touch icing. This hit isn’t suspendable, it’s just what happens sometimes when two guys are racing down the ice. It’s definitely a penalty, but certainly not even worth considering for a suspension. And Chimera does make a decent point, but I think hybrid icing is best for the safety of everyone, especially the goalies.

• lilroot9 - Oct 15, 2013 at 9:42 AM

This was not even icing, so this would not come close to classifying as that. He was skating to give support for the puck and got hit from behind. What video are you watching? “Hits like this happen in the NHL”, why are we accepting to this? People train all day everyday for 20 years and that can be taken away in one play away from the puck, that is not necessary. and you are ok with that? Wait until it’s your star player that goes does for something so dumb and we will all see you complaining how cheap the hit was. If you want to see people get hurt, go watch football and UFC. I want to watch skilled hockey players, play the game, the right way. Playing hard and playing cheap or dumb are not the same. Respect the other players, cause one day you will be at their mercy.

• flavadave10 - Oct 15, 2013 at 10:21 AM

Please. I’ve seen ten thousand times worse. I thought it involved icing since the author mentioned it, so my apologies. And yes, hits like this happen in hockey. This coming from someone who’s played it most of his life as a defenseman. When people skate as hard as they can down the ice, plays like this are going to happen. I agree that it was a boarding penalty. But a suspension? Heck no. It wasn’t deliberate, and Chimera hit Schultz right around the red line. Chimera’s hit probably caused Schultz to lose his balance and slide into the boards. That’s happened to me far more times than I care to remember.

Chimera was playing the game the right way. Allow me to remind you that I’m a defenseman. And here’s how you respect the other players: By playing as hard as you can. You owe it to them. You owe it to yourself. Just don’t be stupid. Chimera was not being stupid.

Why are we talking about fighting... again?

Top 10 NHL Player Searches