Oct 14, 2013, 3:51 PM EST
The Boston Bruins took first blood against the Detroit Red Wings on Oct. 5 in the first contest of their Atlantic Division rivalry. Today it was the Red Wings’ turn to strike back.
Jimmy Howard was originally scheduled to play between the pipes against the Bruins, but he was held out of the game due to a bruised hand, according to MLive’s Ansar Khan. He might be start on Tuesday instead, but backup Jonas Gustavsson was more than capable of holding his own today.
Gustavsson was plagued by injury problems last season and missed the beginning of the 2013-14 campaign due to a groin issue. This was his season debut and he turned aside 28 shots to pick up his first win since March 25.
Boston made things interesting when Milan Lucic netted his 100th career goal with just 1:20 minutes left in regulation time, but they couldn’t complete the comeback.
Detroit improved to 4-2-0 ahead of tomorrow’s contest against Columbus. The Bruins will get a few days off before starting a three-game road trip in Florida on Thursday.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)