Oct 14, 2013, 3:51 PM EDT
The Boston Bruins took first blood against the Detroit Red Wings on Oct. 5 in the first contest of their Atlantic Division rivalry. Today it was the Red Wings’ turn to strike back.
Jimmy Howard was originally scheduled to play between the pipes against the Bruins, but he was held out of the game due to a bruised hand, according to MLive’s Ansar Khan. He might be start on Tuesday instead, but backup Jonas Gustavsson was more than capable of holding his own today.
Gustavsson was plagued by injury problems last season and missed the beginning of the 2013-14 campaign due to a groin issue. This was his season debut and he turned aside 28 shots to pick up his first win since March 25.
Boston made things interesting when Milan Lucic netted his 100th career goal with just 1:20 minutes left in regulation time, but they couldn’t complete the comeback.
Detroit improved to 4-2-0 ahead of tomorrow’s contest against Columbus. The Bruins will get a few days off before starting a three-game road trip in Florida on Thursday.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 20
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 47
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)