Oct 14, 2013, 10:11 AM EST
We’re roughly two weeks into the regular season and naturally there’s been some surprises along the way. Which begs the question, which of these caught you off guard the most? While we’re at it, which of these hot teams are most likely to actually have a successful campaign?
Toronto: 5-1-0 — After their collapse in the first round of the 2013 playoffs, the Maple Leafs have come out swinging this season. Newcomer Jonathan Bernier has been great while five different players — including Mason Raymond — are averaging a point-per-game.
Colorado: 5-0-0 — Avalanche coach Patrick Roy took over a rebuilding team and has made them instantly dominant. Goaltender Semyon Varlamov has a 1.00 GAA and .970 save percentage while rookie Nathan MacKinnon has a team-leading six points in five games. Overall they’ve outscored their competition 18-4.
Calgary: 3-0-2 — They were a popular pick to finish dead last in the NHL and so far they haven’t lost a game in regulation time. That’s partially thanks to rookie Sean Monahan, who has four goals and six points in five games, but it’s Jiri Hudler that leads the team with seven points.
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 3
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 12
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 28
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 17
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 80
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)