Oct 14, 2013, 6:05 PM EST
Following Monday afternoon’s 3-2 loss to the Detroit Red Wings, Boston Bruins winger Milan Lucic remarked that it was the “best he’s ever seen” Jonas Gustavsson play, according to CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty.
On face value, that might seem strange being that a) Gustavsson’s playing on a team that used to be in the West and b) “The Monster” gets injured often enough that some might be surprised Lucic’s seen him at all.
It’s more interesting when you recall that Gustavsson, 28, and Lucic, 25, saw plenty of each other when the Swede was tending net for the Toronto Maple Leafs.
Surely you must be intrigued to wonder how “The Monster” has played against the Bruins in the past, so have no fear; PHT did the legwork to study his history against the B’s.
As it turns out, he’s seen some extreme highs and lows, judging from split stats:
Gustavsson vs. Bruins
2013-14: one game played, 1-0-0, .933 save percentage
2011-12: 5 GP: 0-3-0, .838
2010-11: 1 GP: 0-1-0, .938
2009-10: 3 GP: 2-0-1, .940
As you can see, Gustavsson had one lousy year vs. Boston but was pretty much outstanding against the B’s in 2009-10 and 10-11, so that’s quite the sterling endorsement from Lucic.
Maybe Lucic was just feeling generous because he scored his 100th career goal against him today, though.
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 0
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 9
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 7
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 1
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 6
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 20
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)