Oct 14, 2013, 6:05 PM EDT
Following Monday afternoon’s 3-2 loss to the Detroit Red Wings, Boston Bruins winger Milan Lucic remarked that it was the “best he’s ever seen” Jonas Gustavsson play, according to CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty.
On face value, that might seem strange being that a) Gustavsson’s playing on a team that used to be in the West and b) “The Monster” gets injured often enough that some might be surprised Lucic’s seen him at all.
It’s more interesting when you recall that Gustavsson, 28, and Lucic, 25, saw plenty of each other when the Swede was tending net for the Toronto Maple Leafs.
Surely you must be intrigued to wonder how “The Monster” has played against the Bruins in the past, so have no fear; PHT did the legwork to study his history against the B’s.
As it turns out, he’s seen some extreme highs and lows, judging from split stats:
Gustavsson vs. Bruins
2013-14: one game played, 1-0-0, .933 save percentage
2011-12: 5 GP: 0-3-0, .838
2010-11: 1 GP: 0-1-0, .938
2009-10: 3 GP: 2-0-1, .940
As you can see, Gustavsson had one lousy year vs. Boston but was pretty much outstanding against the B’s in 2009-10 and 10-11, so that’s quite the sterling endorsement from Lucic.
Maybe Lucic was just feeling generous because he scored his 100th career goal against him today, though.
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 6
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 7
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 21
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 12
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 13
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18