Oct 14, 2013, 12:00 PM EST
When Carolina Hurricanes goaltender Anton Khudobin began to limp towards the bench during Sunday’s game it looked like the Hurricanes might be without Cam Ward‘s understudy for a significant amount of time.
Fortunately, Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford feels Khudobin’s injury has proven to be the “best-case scenario” under the circumstances, according to the News & Observer’s Chip Alexander. That won’t prevent Khudobin from being put on the injured reserve list though.
Carolina is still classifying it as a lower-body injury, but Rutherford has confirmed that it isn’t a knee or ankle problem.
The 27-year-old goaltender was brought in to give the team a viable alternative to Ward after Carolina collapsed when Ward suffered a sprained MCL last season. Khudobin had a 2.32 GAA and .920 save percentage in 14 games with Boston in the 2013 campaign and was off to a strong start in 2013-14.
Justin Peters, 27, will be called up to serve as Carolina’s backup goaltender for now.
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 6
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 6
- Sharks players go to bat for McLellan: ‘Why would you get rid of him?’ 0
- Garbutt to have hearing for kneeing Hall 2
- The day before Thanksgiving, six new playoff teams 10
- What they’re saying about St. Louis’ return to Tampa Bay 18
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers face Red Wings on Rivalry Night 13
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 8
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Report: Alfredsson retirement to be announced Dec. 4 10
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)