Oct 14, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT
When Carolina Hurricanes goaltender Anton Khudobin began to limp towards the bench during Sunday’s game it looked like the Hurricanes might be without Cam Ward‘s understudy for a significant amount of time.
Fortunately, Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford feels Khudobin’s injury has proven to be the “best-case scenario” under the circumstances, according to the News & Observer’s Chip Alexander. That won’t prevent Khudobin from being put on the injured reserve list though.
Carolina is still classifying it as a lower-body injury, but Rutherford has confirmed that it isn’t a knee or ankle problem.
The 27-year-old goaltender was brought in to give the team a viable alternative to Ward after Carolina collapsed when Ward suffered a sprained MCL last season. Khudobin had a 2.32 GAA and .920 save percentage in 14 games with Boston in the 2013 campaign and was off to a strong start in 2013-14.
Justin Peters, 27, will be called up to serve as Carolina’s backup goaltender for now.
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 14
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 22
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 14
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 13
- Sens tell fans to stop throwing hamburgers 35
- NHL confirms working with Isles, Leddy regarding Twitter threats (Updated) 16
- Snider: Patience is ‘great with the kids,’ but not with ‘the team we have on the ice’ 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Asst. GM Guerin admits Penguins need to lay off the refs (52)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)