Oct 14, 2013, 12:00 PM EST
When Carolina Hurricanes goaltender Anton Khudobin began to limp towards the bench during Sunday’s game it looked like the Hurricanes might be without Cam Ward‘s understudy for a significant amount of time.
Fortunately, Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford feels Khudobin’s injury has proven to be the “best-case scenario” under the circumstances, according to the News & Observer’s Chip Alexander. That won’t prevent Khudobin from being put on the injured reserve list though.
Carolina is still classifying it as a lower-body injury, but Rutherford has confirmed that it isn’t a knee or ankle problem.
The 27-year-old goaltender was brought in to give the team a viable alternative to Ward after Carolina collapsed when Ward suffered a sprained MCL last season. Khudobin had a 2.32 GAA and .920 save percentage in 14 games with Boston in the 2013 campaign and was off to a strong start in 2013-14.
Justin Peters, 27, will be called up to serve as Carolina’s backup goaltender for now.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 13
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 19
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 52
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)