Oct 14, 2013, 12:00 PM EDT
When Carolina Hurricanes goaltender Anton Khudobin began to limp towards the bench during Sunday’s game it looked like the Hurricanes might be without Cam Ward‘s understudy for a significant amount of time.
Fortunately, Hurricanes GM Jim Rutherford feels Khudobin’s injury has proven to be the “best-case scenario” under the circumstances, according to the News & Observer’s Chip Alexander. That won’t prevent Khudobin from being put on the injured reserve list though.
Carolina is still classifying it as a lower-body injury, but Rutherford has confirmed that it isn’t a knee or ankle problem.
The 27-year-old goaltender was brought in to give the team a viable alternative to Ward after Carolina collapsed when Ward suffered a sprained MCL last season. Khudobin had a 2.32 GAA and .920 save percentage in 14 games with Boston in the 2013 campaign and was off to a strong start in 2013-14.
Justin Peters, 27, will be called up to serve as Carolina’s backup goaltender for now.
- NHL monitoring situation in Ottawa 3
- Lawyer: ‘Mr. Voynov never hit the woman’ 12
- NHL on NBCSN: Hungry Flyers set sights on rival Penguins 18
- Video: Raanta shuts out flat Flyers in emergency start 5
- Video: Flyers’ Jones lays out Smith, called for charging 13
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 2
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 9
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 34
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 16
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)