Oct 14, 2013, 12:33 PM EDT
The NHL has named four players for its three stars of the week.
And yup, you read that right.
Hertl, the Sharks’ 19-year-old rookie wunderkind, led the league with five goals in three games, pacing the Sharks to yet another undefeated (5-0-0) start to the year. (The Sharks opened the ’13 campaign by going undefeated through seven contests).
Second star was a tad unique as the league opted to split it between a pair of teammates — Varlamov and Giguere — who have been instrumental in Colorado’s undefeated (5-0-0) start to the year. Varlamov won two games last week, posting a 1.00 GAA and .971 save percentage, while Giguere starred in his first start of the season, a 2-0 win over defending Eastern Conference champs Boston in which he stopped all 39 shots faced.
Third star went to Crosby, who actually led the entire NHL in points last week (3G, 4A) as the Pens won two of three games. The highlight for No. 87 was his eighth career hat trick, recorded in a 5-4 win over Tampa Bay on Saturday.
Crosby now leads the league in scoring (5G-4A-9PTS) and has recorded his longest point streak to begin campaign since his rookie season of 2005-06.
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 31
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 15
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 11
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 57
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 23
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 63
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 1