Oct 14, 2013, 12:33 PM EDT
The NHL has named four players for its three stars of the week.
And yup, you read that right.
Hertl, the Sharks’ 19-year-old rookie wunderkind, led the league with five goals in three games, pacing the Sharks to yet another undefeated (5-0-0) start to the year. (The Sharks opened the ’13 campaign by going undefeated through seven contests).
Second star was a tad unique as the league opted to split it between a pair of teammates — Varlamov and Giguere — who have been instrumental in Colorado’s undefeated (5-0-0) start to the year. Varlamov won two games last week, posting a 1.00 GAA and .971 save percentage, while Giguere starred in his first start of the season, a 2-0 win over defending Eastern Conference champs Boston in which he stopped all 39 shots faced.
Third star went to Crosby, who actually led the entire NHL in points last week (3G, 4A) as the Pens won two of three games. The highlight for No. 87 was his eighth career hat trick, recorded in a 5-4 win over Tampa Bay on Saturday.
Crosby now leads the league in scoring (5G-4A-9PTS) and has recorded his longest point streak to begin campaign since his rookie season of 2005-06.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 115
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (115)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (40)