Oct 14, 2013, 12:33 PM EDT
The NHL has named four players for its three stars of the week.
And yup, you read that right.
Hertl, the Sharks’ 19-year-old rookie wunderkind, led the league with five goals in three games, pacing the Sharks to yet another undefeated (5-0-0) start to the year. (The Sharks opened the ’13 campaign by going undefeated through seven contests).
Second star was a tad unique as the league opted to split it between a pair of teammates — Varlamov and Giguere — who have been instrumental in Colorado’s undefeated (5-0-0) start to the year. Varlamov won two games last week, posting a 1.00 GAA and .971 save percentage, while Giguere starred in his first start of the season, a 2-0 win over defending Eastern Conference champs Boston in which he stopped all 39 shots faced.
Third star went to Crosby, who actually led the entire NHL in points last week (3G, 4A) as the Pens won two of three games. The highlight for No. 87 was his eighth career hat trick, recorded in a 5-4 win over Tampa Bay on Saturday.
Crosby now leads the league in scoring (5G-4A-9PTS) and has recorded his longest point streak to begin campaign since his rookie season of 2005-06.
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 3
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 15
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 11
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 40
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 60
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)