Oct 14, 2013, 12:33 PM EDT
The NHL has named four players for its three stars of the week.
And yup, you read that right.
Hertl, the Sharks’ 19-year-old rookie wunderkind, led the league with five goals in three games, pacing the Sharks to yet another undefeated (5-0-0) start to the year. (The Sharks opened the ’13 campaign by going undefeated through seven contests).
Second star was a tad unique as the league opted to split it between a pair of teammates — Varlamov and Giguere — who have been instrumental in Colorado’s undefeated (5-0-0) start to the year. Varlamov won two games last week, posting a 1.00 GAA and .971 save percentage, while Giguere starred in his first start of the season, a 2-0 win over defending Eastern Conference champs Boston in which he stopped all 39 shots faced.
Third star went to Crosby, who actually led the entire NHL in points last week (3G, 4A) as the Pens won two of three games. The highlight for No. 87 was his eighth career hat trick, recorded in a 5-4 win over Tampa Bay on Saturday.
Crosby now leads the league in scoring (5G-4A-9PTS) and has recorded his longest point streak to begin campaign since his rookie season of 2005-06.
- Tortorella calls meltdown ‘a kick in the teeth’ 4
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 11
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 35
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)