Oct 14, 2013, 12:38 PM EDT
After getting off to a 1-4-0 start and allowing 25 goals over that span, the New York Rangers seem poised to shake up their roster. Although goaltender Martin Biron and forward Arron Asham joined New York for its morning practice, both players are now on waivers, according to Newsday’s Steve Zipay.
Asham, 35, already previously cleared waivers over the summer and any team that wants him will have to assume what’s left of his $1 million cap hit for the 2013-14 campaign. He’s a physical, bottom-six forward that’s already accumulated 14 penalty minutes in just three games.
Asham had two goals and no assists in 27 contests last season and he hasn’t recorded a point yet in 2013-14.
In his prime, Martin Biron was a starter for the Buffalo Sabres and later Philadelphia Flyers, but for the last few years he’s been a solid understudy to Henrik Lundqvist. Unfortunately, he couldn’t have gotten off to much worse of a start this season. In 71 minutes of ice time, Biron has a 7.61 GAA and .763 save percentage.
He was in danger of losing his backup job before the season even began as the Rangers brought in veteran goalie Johan Hedberg to compete with Biron during training camp. Hedberg was later released from his tryout contract and remains unsigned.
The 36-year-old goaltender comes with a $1.3 million annual cap hit.
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 23
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 46
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 20
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 85
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 47
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (87)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)