Oct 14, 2013, 12:38 PM EDT
After getting off to a 1-4-0 start and allowing 25 goals over that span, the New York Rangers seem poised to shake up their roster. Although goaltender Martin Biron and forward Arron Asham joined New York for its morning practice, both players are now on waivers, according to Newsday’s Steve Zipay.
Asham, 35, already previously cleared waivers over the summer and any team that wants him will have to assume what’s left of his $1 million cap hit for the 2013-14 campaign. He’s a physical, bottom-six forward that’s already accumulated 14 penalty minutes in just three games.
Asham had two goals and no assists in 27 contests last season and he hasn’t recorded a point yet in 2013-14.
In his prime, Martin Biron was a starter for the Buffalo Sabres and later Philadelphia Flyers, but for the last few years he’s been a solid understudy to Henrik Lundqvist. Unfortunately, he couldn’t have gotten off to much worse of a start this season. In 71 minutes of ice time, Biron has a 7.61 GAA and .763 save percentage.
He was in danger of losing his backup job before the season even began as the Rangers brought in veteran goalie Johan Hedberg to compete with Biron during training camp. Hedberg was later released from his tryout contract and remains unsigned.
The 36-year-old goaltender comes with a $1.3 million annual cap hit.
- Tortorella calls meltdown ‘a kick in the teeth’ 4
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 11
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 35
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)