Oct 14, 2013, 12:38 PM EDT
After getting off to a 1-4-0 start and allowing 25 goals over that span, the New York Rangers seem poised to shake up their roster. Although goaltender Martin Biron and forward Arron Asham joined New York for its morning practice, both players are now on waivers, according to Newsday’s Steve Zipay.
Asham, 35, already previously cleared waivers over the summer and any team that wants him will have to assume what’s left of his $1 million cap hit for the 2013-14 campaign. He’s a physical, bottom-six forward that’s already accumulated 14 penalty minutes in just three games.
Asham had two goals and no assists in 27 contests last season and he hasn’t recorded a point yet in 2013-14.
In his prime, Martin Biron was a starter for the Buffalo Sabres and later Philadelphia Flyers, but for the last few years he’s been a solid understudy to Henrik Lundqvist. Unfortunately, he couldn’t have gotten off to much worse of a start this season. In 71 minutes of ice time, Biron has a 7.61 GAA and .763 save percentage.
He was in danger of losing his backup job before the season even began as the Rangers brought in veteran goalie Johan Hedberg to compete with Biron during training camp. Hedberg was later released from his tryout contract and remains unsigned.
The 36-year-old goaltender comes with a $1.3 million annual cap hit.
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 22
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 3
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 20
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Desperate Jets will ‘lean on’ their crowd tonight 19
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Video: More late-game nastiness between Flames, Canucks 17
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (171)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)