Oct 14, 2013, 12:38 PM EDT
After getting off to a 1-4-0 start and allowing 25 goals over that span, the New York Rangers seem poised to shake up their roster. Although goaltender Martin Biron and forward Arron Asham joined New York for its morning practice, both players are now on waivers, according to Newsday’s Steve Zipay.
Asham, 35, already previously cleared waivers over the summer and any team that wants him will have to assume what’s left of his $1 million cap hit for the 2013-14 campaign. He’s a physical, bottom-six forward that’s already accumulated 14 penalty minutes in just three games.
Asham had two goals and no assists in 27 contests last season and he hasn’t recorded a point yet in 2013-14.
In his prime, Martin Biron was a starter for the Buffalo Sabres and later Philadelphia Flyers, but for the last few years he’s been a solid understudy to Henrik Lundqvist. Unfortunately, he couldn’t have gotten off to much worse of a start this season. In 71 minutes of ice time, Biron has a 7.61 GAA and .763 save percentage.
He was in danger of losing his backup job before the season even began as the Rangers brought in veteran goalie Johan Hedberg to compete with Biron during training camp. Hedberg was later released from his tryout contract and remains unsigned.
The 36-year-old goaltender comes with a $1.3 million annual cap hit.
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 6
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 15
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 25
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)