Oct 14, 2013, 10:42 AM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers season hasn’t gone well so far, but for goaltender Devan Dubnyk, it’s been an absolute disaster.
Of those that have logged at least 100 minutes so far, Dubnyk ranks dead last with a 5.43 GAA and has a second worst save percentage at .829.
“It’s not easy,” Dubnyk said. “This is probably the worst start to a year that I could have imagined. It’s frustrating and obviously the pressure builds.”
While hot and cold starts at the beginning of the season are often justifiably downplayed, there is the danger they will snowball. As Dubnyk put it, the pressure is building on him and it will only get worse until he shows some sign of breaking out of this slump.
That’s provided that the Oilers wait for him to bounce back. If Dubnyk’s fails to dig his way out of this rut over the next couple weeks, then Edmonton might start examining its other options.
Dubnyk isn’t likely to be given the chance to redeem himself tonight in Washington as Oilers coach Dallas Eakins is “leaning” towards using backup goaltender Jason LaBarbera.
If that’s the case, then Dubnyk’s first shot at a comeback will probably come tomorrow night against the Pittsburgh Penguins. That’s not exactly the team you want to face if you’re a struggling goaltender, but it would likely be a huge confidence boost for Dubnyk if he holds his own against Sidney Crosby‘s squad.
Update: The Oilers have confirmed that LaBarbera will start tonight.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 9
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 72
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)