Oct 14, 2013, 10:42 AM EDT
The Edmonton Oilers season hasn’t gone well so far, but for goaltender Devan Dubnyk, it’s been an absolute disaster.
Of those that have logged at least 100 minutes so far, Dubnyk ranks dead last with a 5.43 GAA and has a second worst save percentage at .829.
“It’s not easy,” Dubnyk said. “This is probably the worst start to a year that I could have imagined. It’s frustrating and obviously the pressure builds.”
While hot and cold starts at the beginning of the season are often justifiably downplayed, there is the danger they will snowball. As Dubnyk put it, the pressure is building on him and it will only get worse until he shows some sign of breaking out of this slump.
That’s provided that the Oilers wait for him to bounce back. If Dubnyk’s fails to dig his way out of this rut over the next couple weeks, then Edmonton might start examining its other options.
Dubnyk isn’t likely to be given the chance to redeem himself tonight in Washington as Oilers coach Dallas Eakins is “leaning” towards using backup goaltender Jason LaBarbera.
If that’s the case, then Dubnyk’s first shot at a comeback will probably come tomorrow night against the Pittsburgh Penguins. That’s not exactly the team you want to face if you’re a struggling goaltender, but it would likely be a huge confidence boost for Dubnyk if he holds his own against Sidney Crosby‘s squad.
Update: The Oilers have confirmed that LaBarbera will start tonight.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 22
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 48
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)