Oct 14, 2013, 7:00 PM EDT
The Columbus Blue Jackets will be without winger Matt Calvert for an “extended” amount of time because of abdominal surgery, according to the Columbus Dispatch’s Aaron Portzline.
The team will reportedly have a better idea about the 23-year-old’s window of recovery once surgery is completed on Tuesday, but they placed him on the injured reserve anyway.
Calvert is more of a streaky scorer than a reliable producer, but Portzline explains that the team will miss his “righteous wheels.” (That might have to be his nickname.)
While that’s a great description, these two goal videos – both from a hot run in March – might do the best job of capturing what he can bring to the ice on his best nights.
Yes, that second one is especially impressive.
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 8
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 31
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 5
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 5
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)