Oct 14, 2013, 7:00 PM EDT
The Columbus Blue Jackets will be without winger Matt Calvert for an “extended” amount of time because of abdominal surgery, according to the Columbus Dispatch’s Aaron Portzline.
The team will reportedly have a better idea about the 23-year-old’s window of recovery once surgery is completed on Tuesday, but they placed him on the injured reserve anyway.
Calvert is more of a streaky scorer than a reliable producer, but Portzline explains that the team will miss his “righteous wheels.” (That might have to be his nickname.)
While that’s a great description, these two goal videos – both from a hot run in March – might do the best job of capturing what he can bring to the ice on his best nights.
Yes, that second one is especially impressive.
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 21
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 16
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 27
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 61
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off 52
- Report: Leafs sign Franson to one year, $3.3 million deal 8
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M 58
- Report: Blue Jackets, Johansen make ‘significant progress’ toward deal 5
- Kane, Toews could’ve commanded $13.8M cap hits, says agent (83)
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (65)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)