Oct 13, 2013, 4:12 PM EST
It’s been a rough start to the season for Philadelphia and Saturday’s game against the Detroit Red Wings was no exception. With the Flyers down 5-2 in the dying seconds of the third period, Red Wings forward Jordin Tootoo delivered a hard hit to Kris Newbury.
The Flyers forward responded by chasing Tootoo and slashing him from behind. Tootoo went down and eventually exited the game about 19 seconds before the contest’s conclusion. He was back on the ice for the Red Wings’ practice on Sunday though and says he’s fine.
Tootoo claims the two players don’t have a history — he wasn’t even sure who Newbury was. He certainly has an opinion on him now though.
“It’s just uncalled for when a guy’s got your back to him,” Tootoo told MLive. “That’s just like a gutless play. But whatever, we got the two points. Today’s a new day and move on from the situation.”
Newbury was assessed a two-minute minor for his actions, the Flyers’ league-leading 39th minor penalty in just six games. Philadelphia head coach Craig Berube commented after the game that his team has to “stop taking penalties.”
You can view the incident below:
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 16
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 66
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 7
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 9
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 42
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (127)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (66)