Oct 13, 2013, 4:12 PM EDT
It’s been a rough start to the season for Philadelphia and Saturday’s game against the Detroit Red Wings was no exception. With the Flyers down 5-2 in the dying seconds of the third period, Red Wings forward Jordin Tootoo delivered a hard hit to Kris Newbury.
The Flyers forward responded by chasing Tootoo and slashing him from behind. Tootoo went down and eventually exited the game about 19 seconds before the contest’s conclusion. He was back on the ice for the Red Wings’ practice on Sunday though and says he’s fine.
Tootoo claims the two players don’t have a history — he wasn’t even sure who Newbury was. He certainly has an opinion on him now though.
“It’s just uncalled for when a guy’s got your back to him,” Tootoo told MLive. “That’s just like a gutless play. But whatever, we got the two points. Today’s a new day and move on from the situation.”
Newbury was assessed a two-minute minor for his actions, the Flyers’ league-leading 39th minor penalty in just six games. Philadelphia head coach Craig Berube commented after the game that his team has to “stop taking penalties.”
You can view the incident below:
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 0
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 8
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 4
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 24
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 9
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 8
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)