Oct 13, 2013, 4:12 PM EST
It’s been a rough start to the season for Philadelphia and Saturday’s game against the Detroit Red Wings was no exception. With the Flyers down 5-2 in the dying seconds of the third period, Red Wings forward Jordin Tootoo delivered a hard hit to Kris Newbury.
The Flyers forward responded by chasing Tootoo and slashing him from behind. Tootoo went down and eventually exited the game about 19 seconds before the contest’s conclusion. He was back on the ice for the Red Wings’ practice on Sunday though and says he’s fine.
Tootoo claims the two players don’t have a history — he wasn’t even sure who Newbury was. He certainly has an opinion on him now though.
“It’s just uncalled for when a guy’s got your back to him,” Tootoo told MLive. “That’s just like a gutless play. But whatever, we got the two points. Today’s a new day and move on from the situation.”
Newbury was assessed a two-minute minor for his actions, the Flyers’ league-leading 39th minor penalty in just six games. Philadelphia head coach Craig Berube commented after the game that his team has to “stop taking penalties.”
You can view the incident below:
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 5
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 39
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 12
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 68
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 136
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (136)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)