Oct 13, 2013, 4:12 PM EDT
It’s been a rough start to the season for Philadelphia and Saturday’s game against the Detroit Red Wings was no exception. With the Flyers down 5-2 in the dying seconds of the third period, Red Wings forward Jordin Tootoo delivered a hard hit to Kris Newbury.
The Flyers forward responded by chasing Tootoo and slashing him from behind. Tootoo went down and eventually exited the game about 19 seconds before the contest’s conclusion. He was back on the ice for the Red Wings’ practice on Sunday though and says he’s fine.
Tootoo claims the two players don’t have a history — he wasn’t even sure who Newbury was. He certainly has an opinion on him now though.
“It’s just uncalled for when a guy’s got your back to him,” Tootoo told MLive. “That’s just like a gutless play. But whatever, we got the two points. Today’s a new day and move on from the situation.”
Newbury was assessed a two-minute minor for his actions, the Flyers’ league-leading 39th minor penalty in just six games. Philadelphia head coach Craig Berube commented after the game that his team has to “stop taking penalties.”
You can view the incident below:
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 0
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 11
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 15
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 9
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 29
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)