Oct 13, 2013, 4:12 PM EDT
It’s been a rough start to the season for Philadelphia and Saturday’s game against the Detroit Red Wings was no exception. With the Flyers down 5-2 in the dying seconds of the third period, Red Wings forward Jordin Tootoo delivered a hard hit to Kris Newbury.
The Flyers forward responded by chasing Tootoo and slashing him from behind. Tootoo went down and eventually exited the game about 19 seconds before the contest’s conclusion. He was back on the ice for the Red Wings’ practice on Sunday though and says he’s fine.
Tootoo claims the two players don’t have a history — he wasn’t even sure who Newbury was. He certainly has an opinion on him now though.
“It’s just uncalled for when a guy’s got your back to him,” Tootoo told MLive. “That’s just like a gutless play. But whatever, we got the two points. Today’s a new day and move on from the situation.”
Newbury was assessed a two-minute minor for his actions, the Flyers’ league-leading 39th minor penalty in just six games. Philadelphia head coach Craig Berube commented after the game that his team has to “stop taking penalties.”
You can view the incident below:
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 2
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 8
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)