Oct 13, 2013, 3:24 PM EDT
We’re two weeks into Patrick Roy’s first campaign as the Colorado Avalanche’s head coach and we still haven’t seen him lose a game. The Avalanche are 5-0-0 after finishing with the second-worst record last season, but that only tells part of the story.
They have overwhelmed their competition, outscoring them 18-4. Rookie Nathan MacKinnon has been great as has their big offseason acquisitions, Alex Tanguay. However, those two only deserve a portion of the credit as seven different players have recorded at least four points this season.
Then there’s goaltender Semyon Varlamov, who the Colorado Avalanche have long believed in, but has been inconsistent since being acquired from the Washington Capitals. So far he has a 1.00 GAA and .970 save percentage under the guidance of Roy and goalie coach Francois Allaire.
“Right now we’re just saying, ‘Why not? Why not us?'” said Roy, according to the Denver Post. “We’ve been working hard every day, we’ve been remaining humble and know that we’re playing against very good teams. It was a tough trip … but we’re very happy with how it went.”
Of course, there’s 77 games left in the Avalanche’s schedule. They still has many tests ahead of them, not the least of which will be seeing how they respond to their first cold streak when it happens.
Still, when Roy took over the team, the Avalanche were regarded with curiosity. That’s only heightened thanks to their strong start.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 11
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 35
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)