Oct 13, 2013, 12:27 AM EDT
Saturday’s game against the Ottawa Senators might capture San Jose Sharks’ rookie Tomas Hertl‘s high-profile week perfectly. In the first period, he scored his seventh goal of this young season. Yet, for the second game in a row, he took a worrisome hit.
Hertl, 19, is reportedly “under evaluation” after colliding with Senators forward Clarke MacArthur, the Mercury News’ David Pollak reports. As of this writing, he hasn’t returned since that second-period hit.
Multiple onlookers agree that the contact was incidental, but see for yourself in this video from CSNBayArea.com: (In other words, few if any people are comparing it to the check that earned Vancouver Canucks defenseman Alex Edler a three-game suspension.)
In fact, Sharks blog Fear the Fin fears that the young forward is putting himself in harm’s way far too often.
Clean hit on Hertl. As much as I hate the victim-blaming mentality in hockey, kid needs to stop putting himself in vulnerable spots.
— Fear The Fin (@fearthefin) October 13, 2013
If Sharks fans want to feel a little better, San Jose won 3-2 to push its record to 5-0-0. Also, here’s the Hertl goal:
- ‘We’re going into the cage,’ says Kings’ coach Sutter about Game 5 0
- Kings stave off elimination, force Game 5 against Sharks 21
- Wild hold off late Avalanche push to even series at 2-2 53
- Bruins scratch out OT win, push Red Wings to brink 42
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at L.A. Kings 0
- WATCH LIVE: Colorado Avalanche at Minnesota Wild (Game 4) 5
- Monster of a surprise: Red Wings start Gustavsson over Howard 5
- WATCH LIVE: Boston Bruins at Detroit Red Wings (Game 4) 2
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 64
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 99
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Wild’s Cooke offered in-person hearing for knee-on-knee collision with Barrie (111)