Oct 13, 2013, 12:27 AM EDT
Saturday’s game against the Ottawa Senators might capture San Jose Sharks’ rookie Tomas Hertl‘s high-profile week perfectly. In the first period, he scored his seventh goal of this young season. Yet, for the second game in a row, he took a worrisome hit.
Hertl, 19, is reportedly “under evaluation” after colliding with Senators forward Clarke MacArthur, the Mercury News’ David Pollak reports. As of this writing, he hasn’t returned since that second-period hit.
Multiple onlookers agree that the contact was incidental, but see for yourself in this video from CSNBayArea.com: (In other words, few if any people are comparing it to the check that earned Vancouver Canucks defenseman Alex Edler a three-game suspension.)
In fact, Sharks blog Fear the Fin fears that the young forward is putting himself in harm’s way far too often.
Clean hit on Hertl. As much as I hate the victim-blaming mentality in hockey, kid needs to stop putting himself in vulnerable spots.
— Fear The Fin (@fearthefin) October 13, 2013
If Sharks fans want to feel a little better, San Jose won 3-2 to push its record to 5-0-0. Also, here’s the Hertl goal:
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 61
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5