Oct 13, 2013, 12:27 AM EDT
Saturday’s game against the Ottawa Senators might capture San Jose Sharks’ rookie Tomas Hertl‘s high-profile week perfectly. In the first period, he scored his seventh goal of this young season. Yet, for the second game in a row, he took a worrisome hit.
Hertl, 19, is reportedly “under evaluation” after colliding with Senators forward Clarke MacArthur, the Mercury News’ David Pollak reports. As of this writing, he hasn’t returned since that second-period hit.
Multiple onlookers agree that the contact was incidental, but see for yourself in this video from CSNBayArea.com: (In other words, few if any people are comparing it to the check that earned Vancouver Canucks defenseman Alex Edler a three-game suspension.)
In fact, Sharks blog Fear the Fin fears that the young forward is putting himself in harm’s way far too often.
Clean hit on Hertl. As much as I hate the victim-blaming mentality in hockey, kid needs to stop putting himself in vulnerable spots.
— Fear The Fin (@fearthefin) October 13, 2013
If Sharks fans want to feel a little better, San Jose won 3-2 to push its record to 5-0-0. Also, here’s the Hertl goal:
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 0
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 33
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 23
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 90
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- On the hot seat: McPhee will ‘talk in a couple of days’ 21
- Bruins are 7/2 favorites to win the Stanley Cup; Blues next at 6/1 48
- End of an era: Trotz out as Nashville head coach 40
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (90)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)