Oct 13, 2013, 12:27 AM EDT
Saturday’s game against the Ottawa Senators might capture San Jose Sharks’ rookie Tomas Hertl‘s high-profile week perfectly. In the first period, he scored his seventh goal of this young season. Yet, for the second game in a row, he took a worrisome hit.
Hertl, 19, is reportedly “under evaluation” after colliding with Senators forward Clarke MacArthur, the Mercury News’ David Pollak reports. As of this writing, he hasn’t returned since that second-period hit.
Multiple onlookers agree that the contact was incidental, but see for yourself in this video from CSNBayArea.com: (In other words, few if any people are comparing it to the check that earned Vancouver Canucks defenseman Alex Edler a three-game suspension.)
In fact, Sharks blog Fear the Fin fears that the young forward is putting himself in harm’s way far too often.
Clean hit on Hertl. As much as I hate the victim-blaming mentality in hockey, kid needs to stop putting himself in vulnerable spots.
— Fear The Fin (@fearthefin) October 13, 2013
If Sharks fans want to feel a little better, San Jose won 3-2 to push its record to 5-0-0. Also, here’s the Hertl goal:
- All eyes on Lundqvist 6
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 9
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 27
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 38
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 46
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 21
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- It goes to eleven: Lightning edge Rangers in track meet 34
- Brodeur signs three-year deal to be Blues’ assistant GM 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (90)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)