Oct 13, 2013, 9:00 AM EST
Although the collision might have been incidental, the initial fear was that Hertl had hit his head for the second straight game.
Fortunately Sharks coach Todd McLellan was able to offer an encouraging update following San Jose’s 3-2 victory over Ottawa.
“He fell into a player,” McLellan told CSN Bay Area. “Basically, he was going to the net, stumbled and fell into him. He’s a little bit sore, but I think he’ll be fine [today].”
McLellan added that Hertl’s shoulder, not head, was the main area of concern. He also raised the possibility that Hertl might stay off the ice today, but he didn’t seem overly concerned given that the Sharks don’t play again until Tuesday.
San Jose is off to a 5-0-0 start and while Hertl certainly isn’t single-handily response for that, the 19-year-old has been one of the NHL’s most pleasant surprises in the early part of the season.
If you missed the hit, you can see it below:
- PHT Morning Skate: Saying goodbye to Martin Brodeur (plus a brutal Sidney Crosby typo) 1
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 49
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 14
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 57
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 17
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 127
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (127)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (57)