Luongo on own-goal: ‘I didn’t give it up, so I don’t know what happened’

Oct 13, 2013, 1:08 AM EDT

Usually, Roberto Luongo‘s best one-liners come on Twitter, but he provided one of his best yet to the press in reaction to an own-goal that was credited to Lars Eller on Saturday:

“I didn’t give it up so I don’t know what happened,” Luongo said, via Sportsnet Pacific.

What it for yourself and decide who’s most to blame:

So, what do you think? Should it be Luongo? Maybe Dan Hamhuis? Or should we chalk it up to Murphy’s Law?

Adding insult to injury, that goal – credited to Lars Eller – stands as a shorthanded game-winning goal.

Canucks coach John Tortorella remarked that Vancouver didn’t play well in the third period, which is tough to deny since the Montreal Canadiens stacked on two more goals (and an 18-9 shot disparity) to finish things up 4-1.

Maybe everyone couldn’t shake off the stink of that own-goal? They better deal with it, either way, because it will make plenty of blooper reels over a holiday weekend in Canada.

1. canucks30 - Oct 13, 2013 at 1:21 AM

Luongo is a very emotional player.

It’s his greatest asset and his greatest weakness.

This isn’t the first time Luongo has provided a controversial quote immediately following a win or a loss.

The Canucks main problem has been, is, and will continue to be the fact they can’t score when it counts.

• pepaulmier - Oct 13, 2013 at 9:54 AM

Go Habs Go!!!!!!

2. sjsharks66 - Oct 13, 2013 at 1:25 AM

It was not his fault at all. No reason to blame him or feel like he let his team down with that goal.

• polegojim - Oct 13, 2013 at 6:02 AM

Actually…. that’s why goalies are supposed to ‘watch the puck’.

He got lazy so absolutely shares ‘blame’ for that one.

• sabatimus - Oct 13, 2013 at 8:34 AM

In any reasonable situation, the goalie expects the defense to at least NOT allow the puck to trickle into the back of the goalie’s skates and into his own net. When the defense gets the puck where Hamhuis did, 999 times out of 1000 (or more) the puck is broken out at least in front of the goalie—where he’d start looking for forecheckers and other reasonable occurrences that happen much, much more often than what Hamhuis allowed. Absolutely not on Luongo.

• polegojim - Oct 14, 2013 at 4:24 PM

In any reasonable situation… the goalie WATCHES his own back whenever the puck is in his Zone.

Period.

• missthemexpos - Oct 13, 2013 at 10:45 AM

I think former Oiler Steve Smith is the person to ask if we are trying to decide where blame should lie.

3. blomfeld - Oct 13, 2013 at 1:35 AM

‘Stand down’ Luongo from any recriminations that you might be feeling …

for as you know, comrade Quick went through this same ‘crap’ just a few nights back against the Rangers … stuff ‘happens’ man, even to the best of us … but regardless, the gig is now yours, so like maybe show us finally what you’re ‘truly’ made of eh ? … and stop always relying on the excellent Sedin brothers to bail you out … there comes a time in life when a man throws away his ‘billboard-sized’ protection and says … ‘are you talk’n to me?’

• blackhawksdynasty - Oct 13, 2013 at 12:53 PM

Automatic thumbs down for posting a pointless video….again.
      keep ramblin…..we all know you are the former @highcountrybear who went into hiding after Chicago eliminated Detroit last year

• slysipops - Oct 13, 2013 at 7:49 PM

now now, BLOMFELD is a KINGS fan….so let’s treat him to a little bit of royalty..but not too much ! actually the videos do add some humor….. i’m sure TORTS and most NUCK fans need some at this point !

• slysipops - Oct 13, 2013 at 7:45 PM

HEY WAIT BLOMFELD: don’t try to take away any of QUICK’S glory….he did it all…… ON HIS OWN ! THIS BEING SAID, i did enjoy the vid! your pal slysipops !

4. mpops86 - Oct 13, 2013 at 1:40 AM

Not his fault. But Thomas stops that one. ;)

5. gettingpwned - Oct 13, 2013 at 1:56 AM

No way that’s his fault. Re-re defenseman.

6. 19to77 - Oct 13, 2013 at 2:51 AM

“Look, I’m not trying to say ‘Screw Dan Hamhuis,’ but… well, actually, yeah, pretty much that.”

7. canucks30 - Oct 13, 2013 at 3:55 AM

Not entirely sure why blomfeld and 19to77 feel the need to comment on all things Canucks

• 19to77 - Oct 13, 2013 at 4:57 AM

With the exception of the Avs, I don’t greatly care who’s playing. I watch a lot of games, and ‘Nucks games air a lot in B.C. and Alberta, where I’ve lived most of my life. So I guess that’s what’s on more often than not. And hockey’s hockey, right? I’m not just gonna turn it off. It’s fun as hell to watch, even if it’s not the winning team.

• blomfeld - Oct 13, 2013 at 11:03 AM

Friend, this is ‘free’ public forum, not some Orwellian police state. Therefore it’s my ‘right’ to join in on your Canuckle conversations whenever I wish … no different than it’s your right to do so when the topic is our ‘glorious’ Kings. Besides, I’ve lived in Vancouver most of my life, I’ve been following them since ‘day one’ in 1970 and I live within walking distance of Rogers Arena ! :)

• goalieguy37 - Oct 13, 2013 at 12:02 PM

yup. blomfeld has a right to douche the public forum up. just as we have a right to point out his terrible bible references, crappy elvis videos, and asinine comments. keep ‘em coming blomfeld.

• slysipops - Oct 13, 2013 at 7:54 PM

tell them BLOM tell them !! you have your rights like all of us !

• slysipops - Oct 13, 2013 at 8:15 PM

by the way, don’t be too tough or hold any aggresion against the NUCK fans BLOM…..the NUCKERS and TORTS are in a VERY fragile state of mind right now !

• blomfeld - Oct 13, 2013 at 10:42 PM

COULD ‘GOALIEGUY37′ = VERMIN ?

Sad as it may be friends, the answer is likely ‘yes’ … and that’s a shame, not only for our beloved game of hockey, but more importantly for the planet at large :(

• blomfeld - Oct 13, 2013 at 11:13 PM

COULD ‘SLYSIPOPS’ ROCK ?

Well the answer to that is a ‘definitive’ yes ! :) Friend, I’ll never forget that fateful ‘warm’ June afternoon back in 2011 when the Canucks were about to host game 7 against the Bruins here in Vancouver. I was headed southbound along the ’91 Connector’ on the way to my golf course stateside, all the while viewing a virtual parking lot of ‘demented & intoxicated’ Canuckle faithful heading in the opposite direction northbound into town. Hockey was the ‘last’ thing on the minds of 99.9% of these people, trust me … and history went on to prove that in no uncertain terms. Yet ‘that’s’ what they call Canuck Nation ? Everyday here in this city we’re being bombarded with images and messages that ‘we’re all Canucks’ etc … almost to the point where you wonder if you’re living in some Orwellian neo-nazi sports world ? Well no such luck for these people ! I Blomfeld am a ‘free’ man, I love the LA Kings (started doing that back in 73) and nothing these people ever say or ever do will ever change that ! :)

GO KINGS !! .. GO BLACKHAWKS !!!! … GO SLYSIPOPS !!!!!!!!

8. flydommo - Oct 13, 2013 at 7:41 AM

Wow! And it had to happen to Luongo of all people….

9. joey4id - Oct 13, 2013 at 9:58 AM

Just like Therrien drew it on the chalk board. What you going to do? Sh&it happens! No body is to blame. Have fun with it today and move on. We’ve seen worse in more critical games.

10. swenny19 - Oct 13, 2013 at 11:46 AM

Blomfeld is just another unintelligent kings fan who started watching hockey in the 2012 playoffs

11. avfanforlife - Oct 13, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Ha! I don’t care whose fault it is – If it hurts the Canucks, it’s all good with me and the city of Denver! (yup, it’s a Bertuzzi thing!)

12. matt14gg - Oct 13, 2013 at 2:03 PM

You wanna like Lou, but he can’t say stuff like this. All he’s doing is separating himself from the team by saying he didn’t give up the goal. Just own it, fall on the grenade for your defenseman and move on.

13. slysipops - Oct 13, 2013 at 8:23 PM

hey TORTS, the fire is still burning under the TAR pot and more FEATHERS are being gathered daily for the GOING-AWAY-PARTY ! things like the PHANTOM GOAL SCORER have a tendency to work on the minds of the superstitious NUCK FANS. just don’t have a BROOM in your hand when the WITCH – HUNT begins !

14. j4klein95 - Oct 13, 2013 at 8:47 PM

This is 70% on the D-Man and 30% on Luongo. Look how lazy and casual Hamhuis (is that how spell it?) is handling the puck.

15. slysipops - Oct 13, 2013 at 9:12 PM