Oct 13, 2013, 2:42 PM EDT
After a successful campaign as the Boston Bruins’ backup goaltender, Anton Khudobin began the 2013-14 campaign on the right foot by winning in his first two starts with the Carolina Hurricanes.
The 27-year-old goaltender was given the nod again for this afternoon’s game against the Phoenix Coyotes. He turned aside 18 of 20 shots, but he appeared to suffer either a groin or leg injury near the midway point of the second period as he limped towards the bench before being helped off the ice by his teammates.
Khudobin was a key offseason signing for the Hurricanes. They struggled mightily while Ward was sidelined with a sprained MCL last season and Khudobin provides them with a viable alternative to their franchise goaltender.
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 34
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Capitals 3
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 57
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 26
- Once again, Rick Nash isn’t scoring in the playoffs 25
- Video: U.S. stays unbeaten at Worlds with win over defending champs Russia 9
- Andersen shuts out Flames as Ducks stay perfect in playoffs 6
- Wild can’t contain ‘Hawks star forwards in Game 2 43
- Prust blasts referee Watson after getting tossed from Game 2 29
- Stamkos, power play comes alive as Lightning take 2-0 series lead vs. Habs 29
- Niklas Kronwall suspended for Game 7 vs. Tampa Bay (116)
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (80)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (78)