Oct 13, 2013, 2:42 PM EDT
After a successful campaign as the Boston Bruins’ backup goaltender, Anton Khudobin began the 2013-14 campaign on the right foot by winning in his first two starts with the Carolina Hurricanes.
The 27-year-old goaltender was given the nod again for this afternoon’s game against the Phoenix Coyotes. He turned aside 18 of 20 shots, but he appeared to suffer either a groin or leg injury near the midway point of the second period as he limped towards the bench before being helped off the ice by his teammates.
Khudobin was a key offseason signing for the Hurricanes. They struggled mightily while Ward was sidelined with a sprained MCL last season and Khudobin provides them with a viable alternative to their franchise goaltender.
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 61
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5